84 VG30ET vs. 87 VG30ET help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84 VG30ET vs. 87 VG30ET help please

I have an 87 turbo 300zx & my motor is toast (mechanicly) but computer & EFI wiring is all good.

Is the 84 VG30ET motor ("complete" motor) a straight swap-over? I know I have to change the lower intake manifold... is there anything else?? Are there any different (fundamentally different) components, electrical plugs, etc that I should be aware of?

thank you very much for any info,

Igor
    '87 Z31T VG30ET
    '74 260Z L28ET

Uh, why would you have to change the lower intake manifold????

I am under the impression that the only difference as far as wiring goes is that you need to run an 87-89 turbo ecu and you also have to modify the o2 sensor wire because the o2 sensors are different. Other than that I belive thats it, Assuming you have the whole long block and not just a short block.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I thought I'd have to swap the lower intake to accomodate the 84-85 turbo injectors (side feed)..

thank you again for your help..
      '87 Z31T VG30ET
      '74 260Z L28ET

Comment

karma_poleez wrote: I thought I'd have to swap the lower intake to accomodate the 84-85 turbo injectors (side feed)..

thank you again for your help..
        Hmmm, I suppose that MAY be possible but I cant see nissan changing the casting for the intake manifold just to change injectors. But hey dont take my word for it as I am not 100%.

Comment

doesn't matter early and late turbo injectors are the same SIZE

the early ecu can run them if you can manage to swap over the o2 sensor, the 87t ecu will be better but require some efi harness mods

Comment

If you use the 84 engine the injectors are low impedance but the o2 is Zirconium instead of Titania, so use the 84/85 turbo ECU

whether the injectors are the SAME size doesn't matter. Still have to change intake manifold.

If you use the 87 ecu swap the injectors and use the O2 from an 87. Change the wiring and swap the bungs and swap the lower intake mani.

Thats for the turbo. Na engines you can leave the ecu drop the complete engine in, and it runs fine.

http://www.redz31.com/pages/fuel.html

Comment

The motor and all electrical connections will work fine. The bung in the turbo elbow comes out, just swap and reuse old o2 sensor. Fairly easy swap.
              Chuck Stong
              300+ Parts and Performance owner
              http://www.300-plus.com
              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Ok, so besides the electrical aspect of the swap. Will the injectors PHYSICALY fit either manifold?

Comment

SATAN wrote: Ok, so besides the electrical aspect of the swap. Will the injectors PHYSICALY fit either manifold?
                  Yes, the difference is minor and only affects the injector hold down bushing in relation to the machining around the bushing seat on the manifold.
                  imagination is a virtue

Comment

Crazed is correct. The mounting point orientation is slightly different but they will mount up fine. Like a million years ago I had both types side by side and took pics but I can't seem to find them. Might require a little pressure/manipulation of either the rail or hose but it will literally be millimeters.

Comment

Working...
                    X