savest boost level i should reach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• savest boost level i should reach?

I just did a full tune up on the z,everything is stock except for an ic, 3" downpipe and an intake,im thinkin about puttin my mbc in finally after seein that turbozkid ran 11psi and hasn't blown his engine yet,well my ic is huge as you can see so how much boost do you think ill be safe at,im hopin to get down to atleast a 14 or a high 13 1/4 time thanks guys
    87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

i wouldn't run anything more than 12-13psi on the stock fuel system.
    Funny stories!

Comment

well ill see how she runs at 12,i still have the pop off valve so i should be safe

Comment

isn't your pop off valve going to release air after 6 psi?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Your POV will open at around 7psi if it isn't modified or just removed and plugged.

As for how much boost you can run...
          It'll depend alot on the overall condition of your vehicle. I've read about people blowing stuff up at around 10-11psi and they had an IC. I ran most of last summer at 13psi non-intercooled.

Comment

How is your fuel system? Is your fuel pump providing adequate pressure? Are you injectors in good condition with no leaks or blockages etc? Most people you hear about that did damage at "only 10psi" etc are people with screwed up stock fuel systems... I'm sure Jason's write up regarding what the stock fuel system can support is taking into account that the stock fuel system is good order and not screwed up like alot actually are. I'd be checking all that stuff personally before winding up the boost, and do it in increments aswell as you might need to play with your plug gap and timing etc aswell...

Just my .02
            http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

ya i've pretty much read everything on jason's site,but it's hard to remember it all so i just like to ask before i do shit so i can get reminded

Comment

I was running 12psi with no audible knock. It is when it spiked to 16 the few times that i got some detonations going. With your huge intercooler, i am sure 12 psi will be fine. Plus, you will be REALLY happy with that from stock.

At least for a little while.... :lol:

Comment

just listen for the knocking. key to MBC is testing, testing, testing. preferably in some isolated strip or closed track. drive & listen, increment boost slowly. weather conditions (i.e. 100 degree TX summers & 30 degree winters) affect how much I decide to run too...

***Cardomain Site***

Comment

The thing you have to keep in mind though is that slight pinging can sometimes be inaudible...

Comment

oh and tune with downpipe dump :lol:

Can hear anything that is going on :wink:

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: oh and tune with downpipe dump :lol:

Sorry, but I would have to disagree with that.
                        Detonation is much harder to hear over the exuast when you are dumping shortly after the turbo.
                        The quieter the exuast is then the easier it is to hear whats going on inside the engine. It also helps to roll the windows up.
                        imagination is a virtue

Comment

[quote]craZed wrote:
                          Originally posted by MrwassmanNA2T
                          oh and tune with downpipe dump :lol:

Sorry, but I would have to disagree with that.
                          Detonation is much harder to hear over the exuast when you are dumping shortly after the turbo.
                          The quieter the exuast is then the easier it is to hear whats going on inside the engine. It also helps to roll the windows up.
                          This is correct. Listeneng for knock is a really bad idea. if knock is rated on a scale from 0-10... you can hear anything above about 6.5-7, but you can cause serious damage at anything above about a 2. No, do not listen for knock. Get an aftermarket knock sensor and gauge, and get a wideband O2 sensor to know for sure. If you don't have either one of these, and don't know these engines VERY well, then keep it safe and conservative.
                          86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

Wonder what i was hearing under the boost spike thru the exhaust

Comment

Severe detonation

Comment

Working...
                              X