Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shotgun post

Knock out a few questions with one thread:
    If you haven't followed my project, the heads are off.

1. It's okay to assume that I'm an idjit This car is way more advanced than anything I ever intended to own but it's what I got and regardless of my tech abilities I'm into it.

2. I'm cleaning the tops of the pistons and the two that were at the top of their bores are clean. It would be a pain to clean the others w/o bringing them to the top of their bores. It isn't going to hurt anything to turn the crank and bring them up is it? Can't imagine why it would. Obviously I'll return the original position when I beging to put everything back together.

3. I'm removing the valves. Assuming everything else is okay do I need to replace anything other than the seals? If I got +1mm Ferrea valves would I need new guides and whatnot? I prolly don't need them and I'd just as soon have the stock size but I have a line on some +1mm for a lot less than the stock size.

4. Should I remove the cams to clean the heads up? If I do, what should I watch out for?
    I don't have my FSM handy but I'm assuming it has all the info I need to reinstall everything, like assembly lube type etc?

5. Does the engine oil cycle in and out of the lifters? What I'm getting at is whether the oil/water crap from the blown HG is likely to be in them. If so I'll clean & rebuild them.

BTW, I paypaled some $ to help support this site and I recommend everyone who isn't a "guru" and doesn't need to ask questions like this do the same. The support and knowledge base here is worth every penny.

You can turn the crank, put it back at TDC on #1 when you put heads back on.
    you do need new valve SEATS not guides if you run ferrea valves. Bigger vavles will do you no good if your heads aren't ported to get the air out and in. You most likley just need to clean your stock valves.

I would remove the cams to clean the heads. Wrap them in an oily plastic bag and put the cam gears on the front of them and stand them up and keep them that way until they are ready to go back in. they can warp if not, just like a crank shaft. You could also benifit by throwing about 150 bucks at the heads to get a 3 angle valve job done.

I would also pull the lifters apart and clean them good.

You are allready most of the way there. No sence in doing it half assed, ya know?

Oh, also be careful not to nick the lobes on anything while pulling and putting them in the heads, do it slowly.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: You can turn the crank, put it back at TDC on #1 when you put heads back on.
      you do need new valve SEATS not guides if you run ferrea valves. Bigger vavles will do you no good if your heads aren't ported to get the air out and in. You most likley just need to clean your stock valves.

I would remove the cams to clean the heads. Wrap them in an oily plastic bag and put the cam gears on the front of them and stand them up and keep them that way until they are ready to go back in. they can warp if not, just like a crank shaft. You could also benifit by throwing about 150 bucks at the heads to get a 3 angle valve job done.

You are allready most of the way there. No sence in doing it half assed, ya know?
      No way am I going halfassed with this. So I need seats if I replace the valves but just seals otherwise? Is that rust on the valve tops (margins?) going to be a problem?
      I'm going to use Jason's giude to do a little porting and polishing, emphasis on the polishing but I think you're right about Ferrea valves being unnecessary. I could use those if a real port & polish were done right? Far as that goes it doesn't seem like there's much point in the s2 cams w/o porting and polishing.

Comment

[quote]jn1cz wrote:
        Originally posted by SATAN
        You can turn the crank, put it back at TDC on #1 when you put heads back on.

No way am I going halfassed with this. So I need seats if I replace the valves but just seals otherwise? Is that rust on the valve tops (margins?) going to be a problem?
        I'm going to use Jason's giude to do a little porting and polishing, emphasis on the polishing but I think you're right about Ferrea valves being unnecessary. I could use those if a real port & polish were done right? Far as that goes it doesn't seem like there's much point in the s2 cams w/o porting and polishing.
        You pretty much got it. The rust, cant tell until you clean it off and inspect it undernieth. I'm not aware of what part of the valve you are talking about though due to my ignnorace in terminology. Got a pic?

Comment

Talking about the top. That's really all I've seen so far. Speaking of terminology somebody might want to make a list of terms. Jason has used a couple I'm not familiar with. Flame ring was one. I'm just guessing that the valve margin is the top that comes into the combustion chamber when the valve is closed, from his writeup on polishing the combustion chambers.

Comment

jn1cz wrote: Talking about the top. That's really all I've seen so far. Speaking of terminology somebody might want to make a list of terms. Jason has used a couple I'm not familiar with. Flame ring was one. I'm just guessing that the valve margin is the top that comes into the combustion chamber when the valve is closed, from his writeup on polishing the combustion chambers.
            If that is the part you are talking about, the part that is in the combustion chamber then it should be fine once you clean it up. Just make sure there are no jagged edges for hot spots to start forming.

Comment

Working...
            X