where to start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to start.

i just bought a 85 300zx turbo. it had a blown motor. i rebuilt the motor, ballanced, bored .050mm, 3 angle valve job , port matched the intake, mild ported and polished the exhaust, ported and polished the cast manifolds the best i could. rebuilt the turbo . and ported the perssure outlet. the car also has a k&n cold air intake, no cat, flowmaster muffler, centerforce clutch. it runs good, spools quick, and shows 6 to 6 1/2 lbs. boost. whats next ? i would like to up the boost more . but where to start. the rebuild took most my play money for now , but... can you just remove the POV with out adding a BOV? how about a manual boost controler? i have seen some stuff on here about moding the fuel pump curcuit, what do you do? where does the factory fuel cut come in at? i have had it pulling to 6500 rpm allready.
    i hot rod everything i own , just have not played with a newer turbo nissan before , so i like to ask lots of questions.
    85 300zx turbo BSP autox
    84 300zx turbo 12 psi DD
    82 camaro z28 street car 10.12 @ 135.5

your best start on a budget is to remove the pov and plug it with a 1" npt plug ($1.50 from home depot). Then pick up a manual boost controller on Ebay ($5-$30). Everyones car runs differently, so I won't recommend a 100% max boost level...I personally wouldn't go over 8psi to start until you buy an intercooler. As far as a blow off valve, it's not related to the pop off valve at all. You'll be ok without one but it'd be wise to pick up a cheapy (DSM stock bov ~$20) and weld it on.

Sounds like you've got a good start with the engine, good luck. Any pics of the '85?
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Jasons site

http://www.redz31.com

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Pics of the '90 Saab 900T? best year ever for thoes ugly rockets 8)

Comment

What's the exhaust? Still stock? If so then the top of everyones list should be an upgraded exhaust system in my opinion, the difference from stock vs a 3" mandrel bent system is huge and you will really feel it.

I'd probably then look at upgrading the suspension if it's still stock, I drive both of my Series II Z31's alot during the week. My 88t has KONI sports shocks and king springs but my 89t is still stock, it's just totally nuts how much they vary. The stock setup bounces all over the place with mega body roll, the 88t is just perfect and the ride is 5x better.

Also how are the brakes?

That's where I'd start personally before worrying about upping the boost, that's just me though...
          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

I too am new and am wanting to do the suspension first. My car as adjustable suspension though. . . By going with aftermarket stuff, Im totally going to scrap the electronic stuff, right?

Also, what line do i tap for hooking up my boost guage? Thanks

Comment

i have run the saab for 7 years. it sure surprizes a lot of people . it was easy to boost . for 1 grand i got larger injectors, rrpr, modified computer, an a vacumme can for the dizzy. at 19psi it dynoed at 215fwhp
              the z we picked up for $900. with the blown motor.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

here is my cardomain site of the camaro
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/772886/1
              85 300zx turbo BSP autox
              84 300zx turbo 12 psi DD

Comment

Recommended order of upgrades:

1. Brakes so you can stop fast after you make your car go fast
                2. Suspension
                3. Engine upgrades
                4. Cosmetics
                Those who are willing to settle for less than the best quite often get it

Comment

automec wrote: i have run the saab for 7 years. it sure surprizes a lot of people . it was easy to boost . for 1 grand i got larger injectors, rrpr, modified computer, an a vacumme can for the dizzy. at 19psi it dynoed at 215fwhp
                  fwhp lol That always makes me chuckle a little when reading that lol
                  http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Do your intake (really just a good cone filter) exhaust first. 3" turbo back. Do your boost controller AFTER that. I was able to run 15lbs on my 84 turbo with no IC however I am a mile high unlike most.

Do an electric fan, get rid of the pully fan. Then do an IC with a blow off/recirc valve.
                    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

it does have a cold air intake, well a aluminum box and a cone filter. the down pipe is stock, the cat converter is missing, then it has a flowmaster mufflet and a magnaflow stainless duel tip. i live where there is no smog ck's but im also at 4800' eleavation. i did the pov plug today, but have not got to drive it much. my son got married tonite so we been kinda busy. timming is set at 22*.

thanks for the advice!
                      mike
                      85 300zx turbo BSP autox
                      84 300zx turbo 12 psi DD

Comment

Working...
                      X