Need Muffler advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Muffler advice...

Total noob question but needs answering...

I've been driving around for awhile with a downturn off my downpipe. LOUD yes but it sounds MEAN as all hell!!!!
    Well... Long story short my fun brought the attention of Jonny Law and now I need to get my exhaust installed.

I've got a Magnaflow 14834 Muffler, some 3" mandrel bends and a section of 3" straight pipe ready to go. Problem is my buddy had a similar setup on his Z and it seems a bit loud still. Not much but enough to get him pulled over if he got on it at the wrong time.

I need opinions as to what would be a good *cheap* option to quiet things down...

Right now I'm looking at trying a glasspack where the Cat would be but can't find a 3" one with a drilled core for under $50.

What are some of you running to help keep things quiet? Glass pack, inline muffler, resonator? Any video/audio clips would rock!

I had only a dynomax race magnum (which is barely a muffler) for a while, the rest was just 3" pipe. It was not excessively loud until I got on it, and after getting pulled over once in a somewhat close call (roasting an eclipse GSX) I decided to buy two dynomax ultra-flo units. One is in back and one in the middle where the cat was. Despite being heavier and probably having more flow resistance, the tone now is quite livable. There's a little drone on the highway, and unfortunately I don't get the awesome turbine whirr through the exhaust that I love so much, but it's MUCH quieter under boost. I would say it chopped it down 20+ dB

Comment

Have someone or a local shop put in 3" pipes the whole way back. Then get a Magnaflow muffler like the one Certified muffler sells. Sounds great at idle & not too loud when you are on it. I have the 3" downpipe, testpipe, cat back with Magnaflow muffler from Certified Muffler. Sounds almost V8 like at idle. Not very loud when I'm on it (at least not loud in the car). Love it.
      378whp 445wtq
      http://mark86t.zmobiledetailing.com/.../v/Black+Hole/

Z Mobile Detailing, Las Vegas, NV

Comment

With the exhaust running all the way to the back of the car, whatever you chose to do...don't underestimate the effects of an exhaust tip that has dampening properties.

Basically it is like the "straight through" mufflers with the perforated metal on the exterior and some sound dampening material between that and the outer wall. I got my tip at NAPA for $20. Love it.

I know that adding a tip like that to my Flowmaster Super 40 really toned it down a bit but still left me with a bit of rumble and drone at hwy speed especially when the windows are down. (pleasure car not a daily) It gave me a nice throaty sound when driving and definitely enough to set off car alarms as I am pulling out of the parking lots with a slightly more than moderate rev of the engine. :wink:
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

I've got almost all the parts I need to fab up my exhaust. I'm just concerned with the volume where I live cuz the City has begun this Zero Tolerance policy which sucks. No more warnings or fix-it's just tickets. :cry:

Comment

Z's get pulled over? :P

I some how have not gotten any attention in my z. Having no running lights, straight exhaust, loud stereo, all tinted (except windshield) windows, big monster truck rims......

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

cheezmonta wrote: I'm just concerned with the volume where I live cuz the City has begun this Zero Tolerance policy which sucks.
              I almost wish we had something like that here in Vegas. The Hondas running around here are ALL loud and annoying. They sound like *issed off wasps.
              378whp 445wtq

Comment

Sigh... Got ANOTHER Loud exhaust ticket last night... :evil:

The f**king city steals another $83 from me and the Z. :?
                Attached Files

Comment

Magnaflows are one of the loudest brands in my experience...
                  http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Funny, the whole time I was straight exhaust NA (which is pretty dam loud) The cops never even looked at me.

When I was running right off of the exhaust elbow for the turbo, the cops never looked at me. I literally drove past two cops with there windows down on a one way street, and they didn't care.

Z's aren't usually the suspect, you weren't doin anything lame were you?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I have a 1987 nissan maxima with a VG30E soon to be VG30ET , What muffler and pipe size do you think i should go for?

Im looking for some thing that will match my car and have a nice tone.

No Fartcans!

I was thinking of an oval like this

I think that would look really good on my car , But its some cheap ass brand and im sure the sound is really shitty...

The maxima!

[/list]

Comment

The Magnaflow may be louder than stock & it is definitely louder than my HKS cat back but it is by no means loud or annoying. It has a deep throaty idle & sounds wicked when on throttle. I have a wicked Z31 video coming soon. You can here what it sounds like on the street & at the track racing. Check the site next Monday for my video posting.
                        Attached Files
                        378whp 445wtq

Comment

I've just picked up an Apexi muffler for mine. Will report back the power increase and sound when she's installed.

Comment

Working...
                          X