just wondering...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just wondering...

i'm not saying i'm doing this now... but don't think i'm wasting you're time because it's going to be done within 2-3 years (i'm only 18 and going in the air force so i think i'll save up by then)>>>
    either way what do you guys think of a vq35de swap?
    not going to lie i'll most likely have a shop do it or at least wire it becuase i would not know any wiring related work what-so-ever... so this would be the Q: would the 350Z tranny fit? or would i be able to mount the bellhousing to my z31 tranny? and would the rear end hold up?

anyway i hope to be one of the first to do it... i think it would be cool to have a VQ vortech s-charged powered z31
    Stocker 87 na z31 and a slightly modded 90 240sx

WhiteZ31 wrote: i'm not saying i'm doing this now... but don't think i'm wasting you're time because it's going to be done within 2-3 years (i'm only 18 and going in the air force so i think i'll save up by then)>>>
    either way what do you guys think of a vq35de swap?
    not going to lie i'll most likely have a shop do it or at least wire it becuase i would not know any wiring related work what-so-ever... so this would be the Q: would the 350Z tranny fit? or would i be able to mount the bellhousing to my z31 tranny? and would the rear end hold up?

anyway i hope to be one of the first to do it... i think it would be cool to have a VQ vortech s-charged powered z31
    I imagine you won't be able to easily run the off the shelf Vortech kit with a VQ swapped Z31 due to multiple differences between the cars and where you would mount stuff up and engine bay clearances

if you do go VQ, go TT anyway, turbo FTW

Comment

Hope you've got huge sacks of cash laying around that you're willing to part with if you plan on paying someone else to do it
      http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

The VQ is definitely an awesome engine but uh... "vortech s-charged"

Go turbo

As for the tranny, you should be able to use the Z33 tranny. Mostly the things you'll have to watch out for are the shifter and the mounts. The mounts will be custom of course, but the shifter could always be off and might take some work to make right.

The driveshaft would have to be custom anyways so not really any worries there.

Comment

Hmmm,

what is the major intention of that swap? Great effort for less power capacity? From what i have heard the VQ35DE ist a cheap engine with no reserves concerning loading capacity with forced induction. People say you should not go far over 400hp with the block. Our VG-engines are much more oversized. In my opinion, the only swap that could make sence is to the VG30DETT.

The VQ35DE-engine is the worst thing of the 350Z-car. Here around in germany all the 350Zs have only about 260 hp instead of 280. A S14 240SX with only a turboback exhaust and an air filter can easily beat a 350Z.

Comment

Stock for stock the VG can definitely handle more power. Modified though (bottom end and such) the VQ has proven to be an extreme performer. If you aren't planning on building the engine up too much, really the only benefit of the VQ would be the decrease in weight but at the costs involved it really may not be worth it.

As for the VG30DETT... they can definitley handle some power and modified make some insane power but from all I've seen of them, the VG30ET seems to be a bit more reliable oddly enough. Not to mention the TT is a pig of a motor. They're extremely heavy.

If its going to be mostly a street car, the VG30ET is more than capable. Even then though, its been a proven race engine too. Just depends on how much power you want, what you're willing to spend, etc. etc. The main things you'll get from the VQ are just a slight weight reduction and something unique, which is cool to have of course.

Comment

i wanted to have it smog/street legal which is the reason for the s-charge, and the reason with the vq set-up is there is undoubtedly more aftermarket and oe support and it would just be cool, money wise like i said the only thing not to be done by me would be the wiring and custom made pieces... ie: driveshaft
              i wanted to stay v6 just because.
              Stocker 87 na z31 and a slightly modded 90 240sx

Comment

Am I wrong in remembering that (in California) the emissions are related to the year of the engine or the body whichever is newer?

Anyway the VQ is great for stock but I see no point in this discussion if we are doing anything to it. Once you dump 10k in any nissan V* engine, it will give you what you want. And putting a new bottom end in a VQ will cost roughly that.

I thought my next project would be a VH45 350. Maybe a monster turbo VG would be the ticket. :twisted: REALLY piss off the whiney bitches at Branson. Purist whores!
                http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

The biggest problem you are going to have is trying to fab up a CAS, so you could control the thing. The stock 350z uses one that counts teeth on the flywheel. EDIS would be your friend.
                  KILL HADJI

Comment

Anyone who is going to do this kind of swap successfully will not care about such trivial issues. You take the related engine and ecu, do something cool, or make necessary changes to what you have. Obviously a z31 ecu doesnt have what it takes to run a VQ so that is out......

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of standalone. Hence the "EDIS is your friend"
                      KILL HADJI

Comment

Steve88t wrote: Am I wrong in remembering that (in California) the emissions are related to the year of the engine or the body whichever is newer?

Anyway the VQ is great for stock but I see no point in this discussion if we are doing anything to it. Once you dump 10k in any nissan V* engine, it will give you what you want. And putting a new bottom end in a VQ will cost roughly that.

I thought my next project would be a VH45 350. Maybe a monster turbo VG would be the ticket. :twisted: REALLY piss off the whiney bitches at Branson. Purist whores!
                        Yes

Any car after 1975 requires that an engine swap be from a car of that year or newer

the engine used must retain ALL smog equipment from the year car the engine came out of, so you would have to run ALL the OBD2 crap with the VQ, which means adapting a Z33 EMS harness to work with the rest of the Z31 harness, and retaining the stock ECU, unless there's a standalone EMS out there with a CARB # (I think some Motec systems actually are CARB legal, but you'll pay out the ass to run that)

that and your swap is still illegal until you have a BAR ref approve the swap.

CARB sucks, so look at it this way man:

if you want to make any serious power with your Z31, you're going to need to find one of those "special" smog shops

good luck to you

Comment

Call us lots of things in OK, but we don't have inspections or state emission laws. And without inspections, the epa laws mean dick. The lack of inspections kinda sucks cuz you see more broken down pieces of shite on the road then a few years ago when we still had them. But it is cool for me since all my cars are reliable and safe on the road.

I say if you are in CA, forget the exotic swaps. It isnt worth the effort.
                          I got to looking under the hood last night, I think a VG will fit fine with a big turbo or two. MMMMM

Comment

Or you could always move? 8)
                            http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Andrevas wrote:

if you want to make any serious power with your Z31, you're going to need to find one of those "special" smog shops
                              Or just join the rest of us in Cali that swap out engines every two years just to pass smog :lol:
                              http://www.vgpowered.com
                              Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

Working...
                              X