lifting engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifting engine

Probably a stupid question but as I am separated from my can and manuals during the week i will ask anyways.
    Where are the best spots to lift the engine? I have a shop crane and chains but i don't know the best spot to lift from.
    Andrew

I assume you don't have any hooks already attached to the heads.

You can use one of the front brackets on the engine (alt., power sterring, etc.). Then use one from the back on the opposite side so that the chain is on a diagonal. From the rear, I would choose the exhaust manifold.

Comment

I will be attempting a swap , But this is my frist time using a engine hoist .

This is the chain i bought for the engine hoist.

attach this where exatcly to the engine ?

See my car is fwd so its a little hard to attach it to the rear exhaust manifold...[/list]

Comment

I really don't know about on a maxima. Maybe an accessory bracket (alt. for example) would work for one side of the chain. Then you can put the other side through a bolt where the transmission connects.

This is of course if you take out the tranny first. Just get creative and make sure that the chains are someplace sturdy and won't slip. Make sure you are using grade 8 bolts with big washers and nuts if you are using them with the chain to hold weight.

Comment

im going to have to find a hardware place around here...

Comment

Duh home depot.... lol

Comment

As long as you have enough exhaust studs left, use the front manifold and rear manifold. For a third (I like having a minimum of 3 lift points) you could use one of the front brackets or, if you're pulling the tranny with it, around the tranny. You'll definitely need more and longer chains if you're going to wrap them like that though.

Comment

Im just going to leave the tranny in there , The pos engine thats in there now has a few studs broken on the rear exhaust manifold , I think im going to bolt one to one of the top tranny bolt holes , And find some where else on the other side of the engine.

Comment

damn i cant find any where with bolts that i can use , And the tranny bolts are to long and there would be to much room inbetween the bolt and the peice on the chain , Could i just put a bunch of washers inbetween the gap?

Comment

Yes, use washers.

Comment

For mounting on in one of the tranny bolt holes , This is using the a tranny bolt.

Even if i fill that up with washers will it break?

And heres another point i think i might be able to use correct me if im wrong , And this is using a bolt that holds down the intake manifold.

Would that bolt hold or would it break ?

And there is also a hole like this on the other side also diagnoly across from this one.

Comment

TheIndigo88 wrote: damn i cant find any where with bolts that i can use , And the tranny bolts are to long and there would be to much room inbetween the bolt and the peice on the chain , Could i just put a bunch of washers inbetween the gap?
                        You don't have to squish the chain on there, as long as there are plenty of threads in the engine/head (and it isn't angled up!), you'll be fine.
                        Attached Files
                        BLOZ UP.com
                        It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

Ok , And will a tranny bolt do , And a Intake manifold bolt down , Bolt do?

Comment

TheIndigo88 wrote: Ok , And will a tranny bolt do , And a Intake manifold bolt down , Bolt do?
                            i like tranny bolts, they work the engine hoist and the engine stand.

Intake manifold bolt... umm, it will probably work, just don't jump on it when you life it up or anything.

If this makes you feel any better: I lifted a Ford DOHC 4.6L with the 6spd tranny attached (about 800 lbs total), with a tranny bolt, and one of the tiny ass 8M bolts that goes on the intakes. This was after my boss assured me that it would be fine. And it was--even after having a 200lb guy jump and kick the engine into the engine bay (damn mod motors with headers!!)
                            BLOZ UP.com
                            It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

I'm just wondering where your engine lift brackets went. I've never seen an engine without one, VG or otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X