X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning about engines/mechanics?

Great link for people who want to learn:

http://www.autozine.org/technical_schoo ... index.html

Feel free to submit other links to this thread that you feel are informative reading!

This may seam kinda obvious, but anybody who is lacking very basic knowledge of how engines and cars in general work can find the generalized basic stuff at howstuffworks.com. They have a whole section full of car-related explainations.
    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

I have always wondered whether the "cam phasing" can be employed on our Z31. Instead of variable phasing between 0-30 degree, maybe set the intake camshaft to advance 30 degree at say, 4,000 RPM, is attainable. Just rip the "hydraulic phasing acturator" off a Toyota Corolla, modify the input signal, hook up an oil line, and thread the old VG's cam gear and tip of camshaft accordingly. :roll:

Or maybe that's just some crazy talk from a noob like me. :lol:
      Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

^^^Would never work on the VG30E/T, independently of exhaust/intake that is, because of the single cam set up. If you were to advance the intake, you would also simultaneously advance the exhaust as well. It would be just like having adjustable cam gears. If you advnce, you get low end power, if you retard you high end power.

On the other hand, the VG30DE/T/TT have cam phasing on the intake cams. That is what that big circular bulge is in the timing cover.

Now if you had the crazy cam setup from the new 07+ Vipers(yes they are pushrod motors), you could do it. But Mahle had to come up with some crazy ideas for it to work. They incorporated a hollow cam with another cam inside of it, and employed fancy hydrualics to do the phasing. I think they were able to change the Lobe Seperation Angle (LSA) by up to 4-8* either way.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
        1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
        2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

NissanEgg wrote: ^^^Would never work on the VG30E/T, independently of exhaust/intake that is, because of the single cam set up. If you were to advance the intake, you would also simultaneously advance the exhaust as well. It would be just like having adjustable cam gears. If you advnce, you get low end power, if you retard you high end power.
          Maybe we can still use this idea and set the cam at +5 at idle and lower RPM, then the hydraulics will retard the cam to -5 after reaching a certain higher RPM? :roll:
          Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

Possible it could be done, but not feasible from a monetary standpoint. You would pretty much have to be able to program some kind of black box to tell it when to phase, at certain loads or rpm ranges.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
            1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
            2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

I came up with the hollow cam idea in 1988.

I guess somebody else did too.

Still..........adding lift changes is where the real power is.

Comment

a sliding dual tensioner would accomplish the cam advance/retard by moving the timing belt offset relative the crank, if it was oil pressure based with some kind of damping it could work.... remember the higher the rpm the more oil the engine pushes, but the mechanism would have to be very smooth to operate, and space will still be a concern, the waterpump is in the way

Comment

Probably one of the most well rounded and technically informative DIY sites I've found is http://www.autospeed.com. They have a massive amount of well written tech articles that can be applied to most cars in general for all skill levels.

Comment

there was a adjustable cam setup zac ard found for vw's that allowed you to change the cam timing on the go via centrifugal effect. maybe he might have more info on it.

Comment

How about using the stock cam location and having that drive two cams that sit ontop of the valves itself, then utilizing a mechanical adjustable VVT setup to adjust timing and LSA? Much more doable on the average broke ass z31 budget..
                      shooting for power, but coming up short.

Comment

You can always go to a scrap yard to get a s@#$ motor that you can take apart to learn how it works. It doesn't matter who makes it, they still have the same basic function. You can pick up crap motors for the price of scrap or less, even on craigslist.
                        LONG LIVE THE Z

Comment

Working...
                        X