OEM hood liner material...what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM hood liner material...what is it?

Looking into replacement hoodliners and I've searched for a material that is close to what Nissan used.
    The only stuff i can find is a thicker material similar to quilt batting for used in domestic vehicles in the 60's.

From my research it is possible that it could be asbestos as that was still being used until sometime in the 90's
    but on that i'm not sure. It's definitely some type of woven fiberglass like material.

Anybody know what it is called?

I know that the guy who was making them (before he got sick and passed) used a foam "aircraft firewall" material.

TIA..

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Ive always wondered what that hood liner was made of. They fall apart, ive never seen one that didnt. Keep searching Karma... i would like to know aswell.

Comment

I'm not sure of the original material... some fiberglass foam mix that turns nasty after 30 years of heat cycling. But am curious to see what you find. There are a lot of aftermarket hood insulation brands, most with an aluminized lining (and a few without), for other cars. I would be curious to see someone adapt something from another common 80s car and maybe trim to fit if we can't find a suitable replacement.
      '86 300ZXT GLL
      '78 Datsun 280Z BP
      '11 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD

Comment

I was thinking it was some sort of asbestos fiber. But that was fazed out in the 80's and 90's.
        At the wrecking yard i found other makes of cars from the 2000's that used what looks like the same material.
        I was looking for a hood large enough that i could cut one out for the Z, but they are all molded with contours and holes and
        other features that would not look satisfactory.

I can't find a difinitive answer on Google. Everything comes back with the foil backed dynamat type stuff or repro fitted pads.
        Some archived forums mentioned a woolen blend and that led me into looking at fire blankets and welding blankets that use a ceramic fiber or a carbon fiber.
        That seems like what it is, some type of ceramic fiber with a cloth cover that eventually sags.

I did purchase 2yds of fiberglass boat fiber, 2yds of carbon fiber and 2yds of woolen felt and a UV curable resin.
        The plan was to vacuum form my own with a carbon fiber outer layer, a core of fiberglass and a backer of woolen felt.
        I need to wait for warmer weather for that though. Been watching a bunch of youtube videos about vacuum forming.
        Last edited by Z_Karma; 01-23-2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Following, this would be interesting to see offered.

Comment

It's a composite fiberglass.
            Feedback thread
            http://www.z31performance.net/showth...p?40386-sir420

The Herd
            85 z31 GLL N/A2T (7psi daily){Totaled 1-24-2012}
            85 z31 GL N/A2T slightly modified
            85 z31 GLL Turbo Kaminari converted to N/A
            85 z31 GLL Turbo (parted out)(scrapped)
            90 s13 se n/a (stock)Wife blew up the engine
            88 xj40/xj6 (stock) Yard Art
            88 Mighty Max
            99 WJ 4.7 Limited

Comment

If you do either make one, or buy one pre-made, please note here what you do. I will be looking for a headliner in the near future for my build.

Comment

Originally posted by Z_Karma View Post
                Looking into replacement hoodliners and I've searched for a material that is close to what Nissan used.
                The only stuff i can find is a thicker material similar to quilt batting for used in domestic vehicles in the 60's.

From my research it is possible that it could be asbestos as that was still being used until sometime in the 90's
                but on that i'm not sure. It's definitely some type of woven fiberglass like material.

Anybody know what it is called?

I know that the guy who was making them (before he got sick and passed) used a foam "aircraft firewall" material.

TIA..
                After the noted gentleman passed I thought someone had mentioned in this forum of trying to possibly obtain his materials...
                1986zxt w/ '86, 56k mile, na engine (turbo bits swapped), K&N intake, 3" CM Performance turbo-back exhaust, Eibachs, KYB shocks, Front Mount Intercooler (2.5" plumbing), Turbosmart MBC/9 lbs, recirculating BOV, ASCO plenum, dual fans, Maxima alt, Champion 3 row Radiator.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO Performance Package

Comment

Originally posted by sir420 View Post
                  It's a composite fiberglass.
                  I kinda concluded that as well. It's not something i can find available for the consumer market, the closest i can find is a Owens-Corning product , but it's 2" thick (minimum) and faced with foil.

Originally posted by NissanXRMA View Post
                  If you do either make one, or buy one pre-made, please note here what you do. I will be looking for a headliner in the near future for my build.
                  Waiting on warmer weather, the fumes from the resin are very noxious. But i will document what i do with photos.

Originally posted by 1986zxt View Post

After the noted gentleman passed I thought someone had mentioned in this forum of trying to possibly obtain his materials...
                  I seem to remember that as well.

I just wish i could find out what "aircraft firewall material" he used. Searched and found very little info. A few small plane rebuilders forums and suppliers
                  but nothing concrete.

Here is Rick88SS photo album: http://s103.photobucket.com/user/Ric...liner.jpg.html

Here is the original guys flickr gallery where he shows spray adhesive being used: https://www.flickr.com/photos/47561275@N00

Comment

Gonzo's site is still up. His daughter holds the key it seems: http://hoodliners.blogspot.com/
                    1986zxt w/ '86, 56k mile, na engine (turbo bits swapped), K&N intake, 3" CM Performance turbo-back exhaust, Eibachs, KYB shocks, Front Mount Intercooler (2.5" plumbing), Turbosmart MBC/9 lbs, recirculating BOV, ASCO plenum, dual fans, Maxima alt, Champion 3 row Radiator.

Comment

I'm fairly confident that what he used was a 1/4" XLPE foam.
                      http://www.foambymail.com/cross-link...2lb-sheet.html

Comment

are you talking about Art? i hope he's doing OK.

There's commercial adhesive backed heat reflective material that would outperform the original, if you don't mind straying from OEM

Comment

Originally posted by 88sinZ View Post
                          are you talking about Art? i hope he's doing OK.

There's commercial adhesive backed heat reflective material that would outperform the original, if you don't mind straying from OEM
                          Gonzolo Duque was the gentleman's name

Comment

Working...
                          X