Leaky exhaust manifolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky exhaust manifolds

So in putting my Z back together, the exhaust manifold studs broke. I had the studs in the head replaced with new stainless studs, but the elbow over the transmission has one broken stud on each side, and the driver's side where it connects to the rest of the exhaust has a broken stud. Naturally, it leaks too much.

I'm looking to replace the headers, and I was wondering what opinions are on the MSA N/A headers vs trying to just drill out the studs and replace the bolts, and re torquing with new gaskets. I feel like the stainless exhaust would be nice if I'm going to have to take everything off again anyway, but are there other changes I should consider? I will say I don't know where I would source OEM headers from, I've been to the junkyards in the area and there aren't any Z31s (sadly). I'm tempted to go with shiny and new unless there's a downside I don't know about. I do have a pathfinder manifold to install, which I think may pair better with new headers but I'm not sure.

1986 300ZX N/A 5Speed project. Needs work, but that's the point, isn't it?

Several years ago I ordered a set of MSA headers and they didn't fit, didn't clear the starter or even the transmission housing on the passenger side. They were very cool about it and said that they've had that problem before, it seems to have been a QC issue with the shop that made the headers, but it sounds like the stock they've got is the stock they've got.

I'd suggest going to an actual exhaust shop and saying "here's what I got", welding up exhaust parts isn't a really big deal as long as the actual manifold is intact.

Comment

I did call an exhaust shop, they quoted $600 just labour to put everything together. That is probably because they would have to drill out the old studs and such, which is the part I'm questionable about doing at home. If it was just a matter of replacing the gaskets and torquing everything down, I would do it. Probably if I just brought the elbow and driver's side manifold to a machine shop they could do it cheaper, and then I could put everything together with new gaskets. The problem is the leaks are I think from the joint that connects the driver's and passenger's manifold, as that joint is missing a stud on each side. The driver's manifold is also missing a stud to connect to the rest of the exhaust. Damn I hate rusty exhaust bolts.

But if I'm going through the effort, have people been happy with the MSA headers? They definitely look nice and at least the description says they bolt on to the stock cat. I'm guessing I should avoid eBay headers even though the price is definitely appealing.

1986 300ZX N/A 5Speed project. Needs work, but that's the point, isn't it?

Comment

I mean, they're headers on an NA VG30, they're not gonna get you a lot of power or anything so as long as they fit they'll probably work fine. Seriously though, take the parts to a machine shop if you're just trying to get the car driving. I don't know if I'd bother screwing around with the headers. When I was in your position a few years back I eventually just said fuck it and built another NA2T.

Comment

Working...
        X