Muffler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffler question

I was thinking about getting a Dynomax muffler and I wanted to make sure an oval, 18 inch long muffler will fit. The one I was looking at has offset inlet and outlet and is reversible.
    Last edited by steeler80; 04-16-2020, 10:46 PM.

I got the Dynomax Super Turbo 17698. This one is round, but it's almost the same shape as the original turbo muffler. I think it was 5 cm (2 in) shorter than the stock one so you can use its dimensions for reference.

Comment

I think that is the exact one I bought many years ago, has lasted very well, I have had it longer than the stock one. It is very deep and will be louder than stock but for sure gives the car a little more kick. If I drove my Z daily I would probably delete it and do a quieter one but for a Sunday car all good.

Comment

Originally posted by badq45t View Post
        I think that is the exact one I bought many years ago, has lasted very well, I have had it longer than the stock one. It is very deep and will be louder than stock but for sure gives the car a little more kick. If I drove my Z daily I would probably delete it and do a quieter one but for a Sunday car all good.
        I was hoping this type of a muffler wouldn't be too loud as it's not straight through. I'm still waiting for the exhaust to be welded up. Based on your description I might have to think of adding something to the exhaust. Would really like to keep it sensible enough to tolerate longer trips on highways.

Comment

I went with a quieter, round muffler (they had it in the muffler shop without a box so I'm not sure of the brand ) and resonator tip. Much better sound--deeper and more throaty.

Comment

I went with the "it fell off before the muffler" option in 2009 and never fixed it. Cat's are still installed, and you can't tell until you give it full throttle. Even then, it's not very loud. Exhaust ends just prior to the rear axle.
            --------------
            Legal stuff:
            **Nissan Employee**
            Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
            '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
            '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
            '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
            '00 Corolla-- kids car.
            '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

A muffler shop can make just about anything fit, I would find something at http://www.zcarparts.com/ these guys will tell you what will fit and the result you'll get

Comment

I bought from them and the muffler fit perfectly and gave me the exact result I wanted and they told me to expect

Comment

I had a new exhaust made, starting from the downpipe. It's 2,5", has a new cat, and the same 3" Dynomax/Walker 17698 muffler. The guy who made it asked me to go over there and listen to it before he finishes up because he thought it was too quiet. It is pretty much just as quiet as stock if you're in the car with the windows up. With windows down, when you give it throttle, it makes some pretty nice noises. Since I daily the car in the summer and like taking occasional road trips, I'm happy with how it came out.

Comment

Working...
                  X