Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK to remove timing belt cover - permanently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK to remove timing belt cover - permanently?

Ok, I'm a newbie here, but I see many pics of Vg's without the timing belt cover on. Can anyone comment from personal experience if they've done this and would recommend against it for wear reasons?
    Started with Datsuns and L engines, Mikuni carbs. Now a 1968 Datsun 510: 2200lbs, RWD, IRS, 50:50wt. f/r

spy a VG30et.. a VG30ET 510?

Tube frame "done".
    12/10: Interior sheetmetal, firewall done. Fuel + brake plumbing "done". Pulled it all out again to finish the "chassis". Briefly, it drove, then back to the shop.
    1/11: rotisserie built: car BELLY UP
    Will now attempt an aero underbody - best keep it simple!! I have no windtunnel

I have not run the front upper cover for some time and have never had an issue... even driving on dirt. I have never driven on a timing belt over 40K miles though. I'll admit I've always been just a little bit concerned about it.

The lower covers and rear part of the cover I would absolutely keep in place.

Comment

I found a good trick to making the upper cover easy to remove is cutting it down the middle..... the section between the cam gears has two tabs for bolts, you can cut vertically between them so each side keeps one and the cover will not be loose

then when you want to remove it, you can easily twist it out from under the belts and hoses and stuff.... assuming you don't have a/c you can get both off quickly

Comment

I'm leaving mine off just to expose the sexy blue camgears hehe The main danger I think is not to get stuff caught in it if doing anything in the enginebay while it's running like hair or a sweater or something otherwise you could find your face being buzzed off by the camgears lol
        http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

I get crap jammed in the crank gear even with the covers on :roll:
          1988 300ZX Turbo SS
          2000 BMW 323Ci
          2003 BMW 325XiT

Comment

Just don't do it. Keep the timing belt covers where they're supposed to be.

I ruined a 5 day old timing belt by leaving the top cover off and having the power steering pump bracket slam into it.

just leave it on
            It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

I dont run either of mine, top or bottom. BUt the less you have protecting your timing belt the better chance you have of destroying your engine.

up to you.
              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

You can safely remove the top front cover. Also the 84-86 rear cover, removing this one will make it prettier and also make replacing the chts a much greater joy. The 87-89 have covers that protect the cam seals. The lower one is required because of the TDC marking thinger.
                KILL HADJI

Comment

How did you go about removing that rear cover Alex? Mines all bent and sh!t and doesnt look too pretty, I wouldnt mind removing it either if there are no ill effects in doing so...

Comment

eh, yes. The newbie forum is where this belongs.

Thanks for the info, guys! - very helpful. Seems like the big H.P. guys like to run the belts semi-naked! I think I'll do it too, slave to fashion that I am...
                    Started with Datsuns and L engines, Mikuni carbs. Now a 1968 Datsun 510: 2200lbs, RWD, IRS, 50:50wt. f/r

spy a VG30et.. a VG30ET 510?

Tube frame "done".
                    12/10: Interior sheetmetal, firewall done. Fuel + brake plumbing "done". Pulled it all out again to finish the "chassis". Briefly, it drove, then back to the shop.
                    1/11: rotisserie built: car BELLY UP
                    Will now attempt an aero underbody - best keep it simple!! I have no windtunnel

Comment

high hp guys routinely blow engines too, have fun

Comment

I removed mine when i rebuilt my engine. But basically just remove the cam gears and anything in front of it and remove the bolts. It is pretty straight forward.
                        KILL HADJI

Comment

Yeah that's what I thought, good timing too because I'm installing Russ's cam gears very soon. He was nice enough to swap out my red set for a blue set just because

Comment

Working...
                          X