Ask A Stupid Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask A Stupid Question...

I have a question that I can't find the answer too. The valve covers I have seen in z31 turbos in the past have generally been painted red. The non-turbos I have seen have all been unpainted.

I am purchasing a turbo z31 and the valve covers of the engine are not painted red. Everything else checks out and it pulls and boosts like it should. The car is an 84.

Here are the pictures:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
    85 NA2T 9:1 Compression, CM 3" exhaust, Complete Interior Restoration
    94 Maxima
    ...VG30 FTW!!

Well, if your question is asking if it is turbo....it looks like it is

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

It's definitely a turbo, I don't question that. I'm just wondering if all z31 turbo models had the valve covers painted red. Is there a possibility that an N/A motor was swapped in at some point? I know from the rest of the pictures I have that the car was a born as a turbo model (5 lug rims, more giveaways).

Only thing I don't know is if all turbo z31 valve covers were painted red from the factory. Perhaps they didn't do that in 84...?
      94 Maxima
      ...VG30 FTW!!

Comment

AzureblueZ wrote: Only thing I don't know is if all turbo z31 valve covers were painted red from the factory. Perhaps they didn't do that in 84...?
        From the factory all turbo Z31s have painted red valve covers. Check the vin on the car to see if it was originally a turbo car. If it was then they likely just swapped out the valve covers...
        " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
        LaterZ

Comment

i still have the same turbo motor that came in the car, but when i stripped the valve covers to repaint, i saw several different shades before i got to the factory red. some people just get happy with the paint
          1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
          1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

Are there any markings on the engine that denote if it is a VG30E vs. VG30ET?

I need to clarify with the owner, but he mentioned that he thought the motor was replaced by a previous owner at around 80,000. The car is now at 160,000. I am wondering if perhaps a VG30E was swapped in place of the original VG30ET.

Thanks for all the help so far!
            94 Maxima
            ...VG30 FTW!!

Comment

hmm, that would be kinda cool. 9:1 kinda stock

Comment

not really... they all used the same block, just different pistons, and moved around accessories on the outside.... just check the vin to make sure if it's an original turbo or not... though you can be assured that those valve covers 100% came off of a non turbo engine, unless they were prefectly repainted the stock NA color.
                1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

Thanks again for the help. For now I'll just assume that they swapped valve covers.

Sure would be interesting if they swapped the higher compression N/A motor into it!
                  94 Maxima
                  ...VG30 FTW!!

Comment

My NA's valve covers were painted black from the factory, although the color of the covers is hardly something you'd use to determine if it's a turbo or not. How about you see if there's a turbocharger in the car? :P

I can tell by the charge pipe that it is a turbo though...
                    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

300zxt wrote: My NA's valve covers were painted black from the factory, although the color of the covers is hardly something you'd use to determine if it's a turbo or not. How about you see if there's a turbocharger in the car? :P

I can tell by the charge pipe that it is a turbo though...
                      Actually, I think all of the NA covers are black underneath the silver. Mine was atleast.
                      Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                      tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                      545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

My NA's covers are just straight black, because there's a chip or two in the paint and you can see bare metal under it...
                        http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

300zxt wrote: How about you see if there's a turbocharger in the car? :P
                          I know it's turbocharged :lol:

I just thought perhaps it ended up with the higher compression N/A motor. That would be a bonus . I still don't have a way of determing that though :cry:
                          94 Maxima
                          ...VG30 FTW!!

Comment

300zxt wrote: My NA's covers are just straight black, because there's a chip or two in the paint and you can see bare metal under it...
                            Regardless, from the factory they were all Silver(In NA Z31s). Underneath the Silver is Black, someone probably just stripped the Silver down on yours.
                            " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
                            LaterZ

Comment

My Na covers were pure metal (steel) with rustyness

Comment

Working...
                              X