Transmission Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Troubles

when i dump the clutch at 3k rpms it'll pop out of gear into neutral...why's this?
    1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
    Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

How are you on the maintanence? Mileage? Do you have seriously bad mounts?

Thought i would ask

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Could be the effect of wear of the dog teeth on the speed gear or the sleeve. Could be excessive axial play in the gearset... Could also be a number of other things.

Good thing our transmissions are cheap!

Comment

yeah, no kidding. any good suggestions on where to look around Texas?
        1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
        Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

Comment

Morgenstern wrote: yeah, no kidding. any good suggestions on where to look around Texas?
          You should be able to find a NA Z trans for $150-$200 no problem. I would check with 300-plus first because he is right in Waxahachie, TX and also a forum sponsor!

You can also find any S13 or S14 240SX transmission and swap the front half of your transmission case, shifter and output shaft seal cover thing with it. They are the same trans, less those differences (and some internal revisions on the newer ones).

Be sure never to run GL5 gear oil in a Nissan manual transmission; it has been reported to cause premature blocker ring wear and incorrect synchronizer operation because of it. I've now confirmed this with three sources. Run GL4 or a quality synthetic gear oil like redline.

Comment

I have several nissan turbo trannies that I would sell for $400, and will include the driveshaft and flange to make it all work. You could also just rebuild your tranny; there is a place that I use that does good work.
            Chuck Stong
            300+ Parts and Performance owner
            http://www.300-plus.com
            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

well, i've got a 2+2 so i'll have to keep my driveshaft. but i wouldn't mind a turbo tranny... :shock:
              1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

Man you guys are so lucky, even just FINDING a manual tranny for a Z31 here can be quite a task regardless of condition.
                http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

eh, transmissions aren't that easy to come across...unfortunatly most of the Z's in the junkyards just got crushed, *shrugs* :evil:
                  1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

Working...
                  X