Distributor Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor Sensor

i'm taking a wild guess in what that's called, but i'm sure it's some sort of sensor to the distributor. well the wires from the ECU i think have a short, and it's 'causing my car to misfire. but fortunatly enough i'm in the process of fixing it...only problem is i don't know where to start. will just cutting the wires and connecting them with butts work, or will i have to find this possible "short" and eliminate it? since this is most likely coming from the wiring harness i'm a little bummed and hoping it's nothing serious. any ideas would be great, thanks.
    1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
    Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

cas

get another dist

Comment

my distributor works fine...are you sure it's not just a bad connection in the sensor plug? :?
      1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
      Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

Comment

It's not hard to take apart the distributor and swap out the CAS.

I think you can use a distributor from any VG30 powered car.
        1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
        '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
        "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

Comment

Check the wires and fix the short. Thats the only way unless you run new wires.
          Chuck Stong
          300+ Parts and Performance owner
          http://www.300-plus.com
          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

cool, that's what i was thinkin'...just pull apart the distributor and replace the CAS along with running new wires :twisted:
            1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

how do you know that its a short? There should be a connector with 4 wires at the bottom of the distributor, test all of them for continuity and be sure to examine all of the connectors, There's one connector at the bottom of the distributor and it goes to a subharness that goes to the passenger side of the block where there's another connector. Be sure that you check BOTH connectors. I have an extra subharness that I'll sell to you for $10+SH if that is what's wrong with it.

Also be sure to examine the wheel, sometimes if water gets in there you can just hit it with a blowdryer and you'll be fine. an unplugged/shorted CAS will cause the tach to get flaky as well so be sure that it really is the location of your short.
              Funny stories!

Comment

ok, i'll look at those. the only reason i'm thinkin' it's a short is due to the fact that when i would crimp down on the wires some or move it around the idle would go back to normal and i'd be pulling a good 20 vac. (i'm turbocharged). but as soon as i let go it would drop the idle a couple hundered rpms and i'd be pulling around 17-18 vac.
                1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

which wires are you playing with? are you sure that you don't happen to be bumping your plug wires back into place and that they are all tight? It almost kind of sounds like your plug connectios arent that great and you're not getting good spark. Also, examine your rotor and cap...
                  Funny stories!

Comment

well again, i haven't been able to pull it apart but i'm sure it's not getting good spark since it's not idling right, and sputtering. although i ran the ECU codes and it pulled a number 11, so the crank angle sensor is obviously either bad, or the wires aren't getting a good connection to the CAS since i can move the wires and apply pressure and the idle becomes more clear, etc. etc. so for now i'm just trying to tinker and figure out wtf is going on here... :evil:
                    1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

Well I'm curious to find out what the 4 wire are that come fom the distributor.
                      Red/Pwr
                      Blk/Grn
                      Grn/Engine Speed
                      Brn/Crank Angle Sensor
                      I don't have the distributor in front of me right now but I know those are the primary functions of the distributor. Can anyone give me the correct wire colors and there function.

Morgen it does sound like there might be a loose connection or a broken wire due to being pinched if we can figure out which wire is responsible for send ing the crank angle to the ECCS and/or the engine speed then it will help pinpoint your problem.

Comment

if you need a dizzy i have a spare one. i'd like to get rid of it. it works the wires are in perfect shape. $20 plus shipping and its yours.

Comment

ok, can i have the wiring harness sensor plug too with the distributor 84z31? if so the $20 is as good as yours, lol.
                          1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

I have the 4 wire subharness if 84z31 needs his for any reason. I'll give it to you for $5 + SH
                            Funny stories!

Comment

Working...
                            X