what should I spend on a z31?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what should I spend on a z31?

I'm looking at a 1985 z31 turbo with 150k miles, it's from a dealer listed at 7500, the car looks incredible and the only thing wrong with the interior is that the seats are a bit worn. What is the car actually worth?

It looks incredible because they paid someone to detail it. Hit them at 4500. The 84's and 85's have lean start issues with the ECU that Nissan never fixed correctly. Look at the valve covers and see if the fuel injector wiring is marked with yellow tape. If it is, then the Injector service campaign has been completed. Seat reupholstery can be 350+ Look under the rear carpet and the tool kit on the left for rust. These cars leak water eventually through the tail light and rear side window butyl seals. Also, at that age and mileage, it is just ripe for a bunch of things (usually rubber seals/bushings) to need replacing.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

That’s overpriced hard. Still a lot of miles (well still a baby in the VG world). Turbo is nice but is it automatic (though regardless, the transmission is garbage even if it is a 5 speed)? Digidash? 2+2? All these things will devalue the car further. Would you mind posting the dealer ad for the car? If we can see it, we can give you a better ballpark price range.

edit: hang on I think I found it. Is it in Fremont, CA? If so it is a $3-4000 car in my opinion. Digidash lowers any Zs value in my opinion. Looks like it is hiding rust under the front fenders which means there is a good chance the rear fenders are all also hiding rust. The wing is lifting on one side which isn’t good. Water could be getting under it.

The interior is just baggy but in good shape. That’s super common and I would leave it alone.

It is 5 speed but again those T5s are such garbage.
      Last edited by Bates Z31; 05-02-2019, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Not only that, I've seen that car listed on CL since before last November. Be careful I feel that the price is not the only reason this z hasn't been sold yet
        '85 2+0 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Bates Z31 View Post
          That’s overpriced hard. Still a lot of miles (well still a baby in the VG world). Turbo is nice but is it automatic (though regardless, the transmission is garbage even if it is a 5 speed)? Digidash? 2+2? All these things will devalue the car further. Would you mind posting the dealer ad for the car? If we can see it, we can give you a better ballpark price range.

edit: hang on I think I found it. Is it in Fremont, CA? If so it is a $3-4000 car in my opinion. Digidash lowers any Zs value in my opinion. Looks like it is hiding rust under the front fenders which means there is a good chance the rear fenders are all also hiding rust. The wing is lifting on one side which isn’t good. Water could be getting under it.

The interior is just baggy but in good shape. That’s super common and I would leave it alone.

It is 5 speed but again those T5s are such garbage.
          Yeah thats the car. in the grey or black is my dream car. For the brand, body, the aesthetic. I JUST LOVE Z31s OK? Id love to keep the same look but maybe a diffrent engine and manual trans, new coils and what not, but i cant get this car outa my mind, so i dont want sweat and buy one without doing my research.

Comment

There's 4 z31's you can buy
            1. Clean but doesn't run and will be a pain in the ass
            2. Last owner put a lot of work under the hood but is all dented up
            3. Runs well and is super clean
            4. Neither
            Sounds like you got a 1

Comment

Originally posted by nast View Post

Yeah thats the car. in the grey or black is my dream car. For the brand, body, the aesthetic. I JUST LOVE Z31s OK? Id love to keep the same look but maybe a diffrent engine and manual trans, new coils and what not, but i cant get this car outa my mind, so i dont want sweat and buy one without doing my research.
              A different engine? Lol why?

The car is definitely hiding issues but it is a great foundation, just have to get it at the right price. The rust doesn’t look too bad but pictures can hide a lot. I’d get under the car and take a very very very close look. Excitement can typically make you blind to obvious issues and rust, even if you know what to look for.

Comment

Originally posted by z31_chris View Post
                There's 4 z31's you can buy
                1. Clean but doesn't run and will be a pain in the ass
                2. Last owner put a lot of work under the hood but is all dented up
                3. Runs well and is super clean
                4. Neither
                Sounds like you got a 1
                Why would a dealer be selling a car worth 5000 max, that doesn't run for 7500?

Comment

Originally posted by Bates Z31 View Post

A different engine? Lol why?

The car is definitely hiding issues but it is a great foundation, just have to get it at the right price. The rust doesn’t look too bad but pictures can hide a lot. I’d get under the car and take a very very very close look. Excitement can typically make you blind to obvious issues and rust, even if you know what to look for.
                  Well it all depends on the specific car and model I end up going with. If it's a beauty but the mechanical side is a piece of shit, then I'll go the route of having the 80s style but modern performance. If I find a beautiful car that has less that 100k miles and runs fantastic, then I'll make some minor changes to make sure it keeps running.

Comment

a lot of dealers dont even know what the hell these things are worth

Comment

Working...
                    X