89 Maxima VG30 in Z31?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Maxima VG30 in Z31?

Heard something's different about the intake, you can't just throw the Z cam, heads, and pistons on and make it work?
    1985 Turbo - In Pieces

Originally posted by RedSkylence View Post
    Heard something's different about the intake, you can't just throw the Z cam, heads, and pistons on and make it work?
    You can use the Maxima VG30s. There are some small differences like the upper intake and accessories. If memory serves me correctly you will need to use the Z31 crank pulley for your accessories. The Maxima alternators are actually a slight upgrade over the Z31 alternator. The upper intake is different but it actually flows a little bit better as it doesnt have the neck like the Z31. Many people actually use the Maxima upper in intake over the Z31.

Is this for an NA Z31 or Turbo Z31? And which year?
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

This perhaps? http://z31.com/repairs/newengine.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by kaur View Post
        I'm tired of opening that link and reading "(89?)". But I appreciate the reference, it's otherwise been extrememly helpful.

1985 Turbo - In Pieces

Comment

Originally posted by FlawleZ View Post
          1985 Turbo. Would the engine mount on the crossmember fine and leave room for the intake and turbo? Right now I can't even get in the car or pop the hood, so I'm deciding whether this '87 block has a dead/dying cylinder, if I should grab the block someone else wants to sell me, if the heads I have were done properly before I bought them, or if I should just buy the trusty Maxima engine and put the '87 crank in. I can't tell but it looks like the my heads are destroyed.

Although, if the '89 Maxima engine means cutting, removing, or relocating, I'd rather figure out how the Z fit together when it was stock before modifications felt like less of a poor trial and detrimental error thing for me.
          Last edited by RedSkylence; 06-20-2019, 09:06 PM.
          1985 Turbo - In Pieces

Comment

1985 Turbo. Would the engine mount on the crossmember fine and leave room for the intake and turbo? Right now I can't even get in the car or pop the hood, so I'm deciding whether this '87 block has a dead/dying cylinder, if I should grab the block someone else wants to sell me, if the heads I have were done properly before I bought them, or if I should just buy the trusty Maxima engine and put the '87 crank in. I can't tell but it looks like the my heads are destroyed.

Although, if the '89 Maxima engine means cutting, removing, or relocating, I'd rather figure out how the Z fit together when it was stock before modifications felt like less of a poor trial and detrimental error thing for me.
            You would just need the long block from the Maxima and you would pull all of the accessories , motor mounts, fuel injectors, etc from your Z engine and swap onto the Maxima engine. You will not need to cut or modify anything for this swap.
            545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

definitely don't get sucked into trying to make the maxima intake work because supposedly it`s an improvement on its own. the maxima intake *may* require you to cut out a bit of the hood support, forces you to relocate the FPR, will probably require you to do some macgyvering for the throttle body and cable, and doesn't get you anything you'll ever notice on its own. It gives better options for intercooler piping if you're doing a serious build but otherwise, not worth the trouble (ask me how I know this lol)

so if you just want a car that works, do like FlawleZ says and throw all the z31 stuff on the maxima block, drive away happy.

Comment

Originally posted by FrozenZ View Post
                definitely don't get sucked into trying to make the maxima intake work because supposedly it`s an improvement on its own. the maxima intake *may* require you to cut out a bit of the hood support, forces you to relocate the FPR, will probably require you to do some macgyvering for the throttle body and cable, and doesn't get you anything you'll ever notice on its own. It gives better options for intercooler piping if you're doing a serious build but otherwise, not worth the trouble (ask me how I know this lol)

so if you just want a car that works, do like FlawleZ says and throw all the z31 stuff on the maxima block, drive away happy.
                Sounds pretty straightforward but, are you saying the Z intake fits on the gen 3 Maxima's engine? Or is that going to take a little work?
                1985 Turbo - In Pieces

Comment

Yeah the Z intake shoudl fit right on. I think some of the early gen 3 maximas had a weird intake but that`s just from the gasket up, the block didn't change. I have an 87 Max intake on a 96 Pathy block with a Z31 tranny and a Maxima alternator.

Comment

Originally posted by FrozenZ View Post
                    Yeah the Z intake shoudl fit right on. I think some of the early gen 3 maximas had a weird intake but that`s just from the gasket up, the block didn't change. I have an 87 Max intake on a 96 Pathy block with a Z31 tranny and a Maxima alternator.
                    Awesome, sounds like part compatibility isn't an issue.

1985 Turbo - In Pieces

Comment

You can use the Maxima VG30s. There are some small differences like the upper intake and accessories. If memory serves me correctly you will need to use the Z31 crank pulley for your accessories. The Maxima alternators are actually a slight upgrade over the Z31 alternator. The upper intake is different but it actually flows a little bit better as it doesnt have the neck like the Z31. Many people actually use the Maxima upper in intake over the Z31.

The timing marks should be the same on the camshaft pulleys right?
                      1985 Turbo - In Pieces

Comment

The timing marks should be the same on the camshaft pulleys right?
                        Yes they are the same.
                        545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

You would just need the long block from the Maxima and you would pull all of the accessories , motor mounts, fuel injectors, etc from your Z engine and swap onto the Maxima engine. You will not need to cut or modify anything for this swap.
                          I'm having a rough time finding the fuel rail but from what I've read, the maxima uses a side feed injector rail while the 85t uses a larger top feed. Would the fuel rail from an 88 turbo work, or does that even matter?
                          1985 Turbo - In Pieces

Comment

reuse the Z's existing fuel rail and intake. I believe the 88t fuel rail is dual/side feed (same as the 88N/A) but I could be wrong. There's a page around here somewhere (maybe one of the redz sites) that shows compatibility.
                            --------------
                            Legal stuff:
                            **Nissan Employee**
                            Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
                            '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
                            '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
                            '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
                            '00 Corolla-- kids car.
                            '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

Originally posted by mwolvinm View Post
                              reuse the Z's existing fuel rail and intake. I believe the 88t fuel rail is dual/side feed (same as the 88N/A) but I could be wrong. There's a page around here somewhere (maybe one of the redz sites) that shows compatibility.
                              So I should use the 88t fuel rails, due to this being an 89 max engine with a turbo? I don't have a fuel rail of my own, and honestly cannot see the difference between the injector ports.
                              Last edited by RedSkylence; 08-28-2019, 05:11 PM.
                              1985 Turbo - In Pieces

Comment

Working...
                              X