Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Main Difference Between Europe and US Z31´s ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, ABS way back in '84, huh. I know Mercedes offered it as an option on the S-class starting in like 1979 or something, but it wasn't really a standard feature on mainstream premium vehicles until the early 90's in North America. Who knew that the Euro Z31 offered it almost a decade earlier? Pretty cool.

So, does it work alright? I'm trying to think of the most primitive ABS system imaginable, and I keep coming up with 1995 Cavalier / Sunfire. The Euro Z31 ABS system is ten years older, but I can't imagine it would be any worse than 90's GM FAIL-BS.
    Zoey - 1987 Z31T GLL - HKS EVC / CM SS 3" turbo-back / Stance GR+
    Black Betty - 2014 Audi C7 S6 APR1

Comment

I have no idea how it works.
      I haven't drove the car. It is a donor for my Z that I'm restoring.
      But it has ABS :-)

Comment

There's a summary about what I think is the ABS, or the skid control or anti lock system, in here
        http://www.xenonzcar.com/z31/files/N...el%20Intro.pdf

I think my 87 turbo also has it, I've seen the lines in the rear behind the covers in the trunk. Should test what it does some day..

Comment

Huh, that's really cool. Thanks for the link, kaur.
          Zoey - 1987 Z31T GLL - HKS EVC / CM SS 3" turbo-back / Stance GR+
          Black Betty - 2014 Audi C7 S6 APR1

Comment

The Xenon Z31 reference page also has the 84 and 87-89 Euro/Australia FSMs and an 85 owner's manual available now. They include some other info about the differences in models and are otherwise great for people who have non-US cars. The URL for the second one has a typo in it but it can be accessed at http://www.xenonzcar.com/z31/files/koukieuroFSM.rar

Comment

So I just started wondering. Some sources say the EDM turbo models had a higher rated power of 168kW and it's said this is because of the Nismo/Euro camshafts. Maybe some early Z31 turbos were rated at 168kW but most that have been on sale around Europe have been listed as having 149kW, which in most cases means their papers state that. Yet they all have the same Nismo/Euro camshafts, which should add some power as far as I've gathered. Did they somehow decrease the power in later models? Or what's the deal with the different cams?

Comment

Working...
              X