How do you get your engines so purty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get your engines so purty

Most of the engine pics I see here look great. My engine had a fire due to leaking injectors back in 92 and has been sitting since then. The valve covers have a rough surface which I assume is factory but the paint is faded. I have cleaned the whole engine with a degreaser but all aluminum parts are dark and have oxidation. Any tricks you have found to make it all look better without tearing the whole engine down? I have the engine out so now seems like a good time to spruce it up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    86 Turbo

polishing compound, snad paper. :lol:

Comment

I just remembered seeing something called aluminum jelly. Anyone ever try it?
      86 Turbo

Comment

remove it piece by piece. sand it down and paint it. Stuff like vac lines being replaced with colored lines of your choice also helps. For the e-bay body I would recommend a soft brush, Simple Green and a lot of effort to get the gunk off. Be careful with some of the engine cleaners out there. They can leave a very visible film and some of the harsher cleaners can actually remove/ruin paint. Been there and done that unfortunately. :shock:
        Attached Files
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Stripped...

Painted...

The plenums gotta come off, you cant avoid that if you want to do it properly.
          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

When i had my heads off, i made the mistake of sand blasting the chambers.... Didn't realize there was tiny little oil galleries. So my boss bitched me out about one of his other assistants did this and it cost him 6 grand, bla bla bla.

Honestly, WD40 and scotch brite works its wonders on my car.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Glass bead blasting, lots of duct tape on the holes, a right angle grinder with a wire wheel, lots of time. And then Duplicolor high temp paint in the color of cast coat aluminum..

And the end result is:

And this is what i started with, just to give you an idea:
              ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

GotFast? wrote: Glass bead blasting, lots of duct tape on the holes, a right angle grinder with a wire wheel, lots of time. And then Duplicolor high temp paint in the color of cast coat aluminum..
                Meh, my duplicolored manifolds didn't last 20 miles. They burned off that first time I boosted for any length of time. I think it was the 500* temp rating paint as well.

The real trick is KEEPING it clean.
                Attached Files
                Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

I baked mine in a 500 degree oven for an hour. Still on there.

Ahh hell atleast it will look good on a stand. Thats all that matters. Once its in the car its all about how fast we go.
                  ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

Mine is still black

For the most part :wink:

Comment

You've given me some good ideas. Seems I've always been in too much of a hurry getting things running to take the time to make them look nice too. I think I'll take advantage of having the engine out and see what I can do. I had originally pulled the engine and trans to put them in a different kind of car but the more I look at this one the more I like it. Previous owners parked the car in '92 after the engine fire which means it was only 6 years old. I guess that explains why it only has 91k miles. It has been covered ever since so the original black paint still looks nice. I still have a lot of work to do with the wiring and that is why I went with Megasquirt. Thanks again for the help and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions before I'm thru. Norm
                      Attached Files
                      86 Turbo

Comment

Duplicolor 1000 ceramic for the win. Forget the headers, nothing short of ceramic powder-coat will last.

Ive done a couple engines with the Duplicolor 1000 and it holds up very well. Let it cure properly and you are good. The color will fade a touch but Ive never had an issue with it cracking or pealing when properly applied.

Ive also used several types of paint on interior parts over the years. Duplicolor 500 or 1000 is the best I have found. Hit it with a couple coats of their high temp clear coat and it holds up better than anything else I have tried, regardless of price.

Of course there are some others that have gone to the level of powder coating nearly everything. Absolutely top notch but not cheap.
                        Just stand back and throw money.
                        Performance costs money.
                        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

The secret to clean aluminum parts is wadding polish, I believe eagle1 makes some good stuff (nevr-dull?) that you can even find at places like wal-mart. Use a small soft wire brush for removing caked up junk and then get to it with the wadding.

All I can say about engine bays is it takes TIME TIME TIME. My bay was so gross when I got the car I didn't even like to open the hood for tech inspections. It's looking better, but it's still pretty rough around the edges; mostly because I'm lazy.

Comment

Yeah, i have some nevr-dull, that stuff works wonders and a 8 dollar can will last you forever. And i mean for ever.

My mom details motorcycles and cars and stuff like that and she used the same can for like 5 years or something rediculous. Just make sure the surface is fairly clean.

Comment

mineral spirits
                              2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Working...
                              X