86 87 rear hatch interchangability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 87 rear hatch interchangability

Is the 87 rear hatch interchangable with the 86? I like the 3rd brake light mounted high, can the 87 hatch be mounted onto the 86?. Can the 86 spoiler be mounted onto the 87 hatch and wired to work?
    What, me worry? It just takes a little time, patience and thought!

It would be much easier to add the up high brake light to the 86 hatch.
    Don't go through the hassle of drilling a bunch of new holes on the 87 hatch, running wiring through it and removing and installing the whole hatch.

Find the top trim piece with the light at a junk yard.
    Pull the top trim piece off the 86.
    Might have to drill 1 hole to splice the wires together.
    Install the 87 trim piece and there you have it.
    Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
    1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
    2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Swapping 87 trim to 86

Is there enough room to feed the washer line or will it simply use the same line just repositioned to the left?

I have an 87 hatch so I can pull the trom off.

Comment

My 88 is sitting out in the driveway with this piece currently removed for painting, so I double checked.

The water line on the 87+ comes out of the middle of the hatch. there is a small hose that connects it to the nozzle on the driver side.

I've never pulled this piece off an 86 and earlier, so I don't know if the connecting piece is the same, but it is in the same location. Center top of the hatch.
        Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
        1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
        2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Thanks for link

Thanks Bum, I will take apart my 87 & 86 hatch trim and see what additional modifications need to be made. I plan on keeping the 86 spoiler with 3rd brake light, I just like the 87 3rd brake light & want to add it. In the NYC area anything you do to keep the ass off your rear is GOOD.

Comment

Working...
          X