Rear hatch glass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear hatch glass.

Has anyone ever removed the glass from the rear hatch? I need to remove mine and put it on my new hatch but I have no idea what I am doing and have no experience with automotive glass. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
    2005 whore magnet

if its like the front windshield , then its glued on (like the side triangle windows... yeaaa you get the idea...), and you would be better off getting a profesional to come and take it off , they shouldnt charge more than $100 IF the can take it off in one peice , they have special knives and stuff to cut thru the glue shit .

i had a big crack on my front windshield , and it tried to take it off myself , i ended up punching a whole thru it , the charged 120 for a new windshield and like 70 for removing the broken one and putting in the new one . they glued the new one on , and taped it up to the pillars so when the glue dried the widshield would be held on tight against the frame..

some cars are easy , the types that have seals intsead of glue , i did the rear glass on one of my dads merc's it was easy because i was just replacing the seal , but most japanese cars dont have seals the have shitty gooey glue and it sucks balls , i gotta admit it was pretty funny watching the guys curse at the windshield because the were gettin cut up trying to get off all of the little pieces...

Comment

The rear glass is sealed just like the front, but it looks a little easier to get it out compared to the front when the trim is removed. There are some special tools for cutting the sealant, and even a sawzall attachment I have seen used.

Is your new hatch an OE unit...?

Comment

heat gun and cutting device
        :?:

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Is your new hatch an OE unit...?
          No, its a VIS hatch
          2005 whore magnet

Comment

Buy some piano wire and get one end pushed through the seal. Once pushed through hook up two handles, like wooden dowel rods and attach the to the wire then with the help of another person start sawing through the seal together. Keep your handles close to the glass. Piece of cake...be patient as you cut so as not to chip edge.

Skid Out

Comment

[quote]SteveZ31 wrote:
              Originally posted by Jason84NA2T
              No, its a VIS hatch
              I should have assumed! Sparing no expense; I must see this car some day.

You might be better off going for a lexan/polycarbonite rear window if the car is not daily driven. You would need to clean and re-polish it all the time though. It would save 10lbs at least.

Skid: I never had much luck using wire, that sealant seems pretty goopy and it comes back together as soon as you pull the wire through it. I broke the one windshield I tried removing by that method. Has it worked for you in the past?

Comment

I've done the wire trick, start a hole with a knife, stick wire in, saw ....

it was on a gm minivan quarter glass, worked alright, I kept some steady foot pressure on the glass, maybe that helped, maybe the goop used determines the effectiveness

Comment

G-E wrote: I've done the wire trick, start a hole with a knife, stick wire in, saw ....

it was on a gm minivan quarter glass, worked alright, I kept some steady foot pressure on the glass, maybe that helped, maybe the goop used determines the effectiveness
                  Exactly, as you start the sawing with the wire you push out as you go. Done this on more than a dozen windshields. Haven't broken one yet. Cross my fingers...knock on wood.

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote: [quote=SteveZ31]
                    Originally posted by Jason84NA2T
                    No, its a VIS hatch
                    I should have assumed! Sparing no expense; I must see this car some day.

You might be better off going for a lexan/polycarbonite rear window if the car is not daily driven. You would need to clean and re-polish it all the time though. It would save 10lbs at least.
                    No the car wont be driven daily, Yea I am getting a quote for lexan Hatch and Triangles I proabaly wont do it but im just curious the price.
                    2005 whore magnet

Comment

SteveZ31 wrote:
                      No the car wont be driven daily, Yea I am getting a quote for lexan Hatch and Triangles I proabaly wont do it but im just curious the price.
                      You can DIY also; my brother has done this for all of his rally cars. All you need is the lexan sheets and an oven. You can lay them over stock window glass and heat very slowly so you don't get bubbles. This is if they need to match the contours of the car, and I'm not sure there is enough curvature to really matter? You could probably just keep the rear one flat too. AfterdarkZ knows more about the process than I do, ask him or google might come up with something.

Comment

bass guitar strings work better than piano wire since they have ridges they remove a little of the sealant so it dosent come back together.you could try a draw knife but they usually break the glass.
                        live fast,drive hard,and enjoy the ride!

Comment

Working...
                        X