Gauge options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge options.

So this December I'm planning on some gauges to go with my na2t thing. I'm thinking of just getting the pillar from Dan at TSS and get a boost gauge for it. My question is what other gauge should i get? I'm thinking an oil temperature gauge would be good. I don't race, or even drive very hard, but we have many long straight roads here in NE and one could conceivably stay on boost for long periods of time. I could go with anything, coolant temp, oil pressure, you name it. What are your opinions? Also, where do i get the maroon paint to spray the pod with? Is it worth the trouble to paint? I suppose I'm going to end up taking the dash off at some point to do this... :?

Another option: I've seen people put aftermarket gauges in the factory gauge holes in the dash. I really like that, but I don't know how to do it. Not being very creative I'm probably going to go with the easier-to-do pillar mount.

Also, Dan, if you read this, do you have a 20psi gauge availible? Only the 30psi is listed online...I don't need that too bad.

Any thoughts/opinions welcomed...
    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Ah hah. i thought i remembered seeing a full a-pillar replacement pod. Who thinks i should go for that?

Comment

That's the lotek pod if you mean the replacement 3pod ones. Mine is OK... matches the black interior fairly well unpainted, but fitment is less than ideal. It looks fine from 10 feet away, but it just fits rather funny in spots.

Comment

Yeah, so suppose Lo-Tek fitment isn't going to be real hot. However, would it be any worse than the 2pod one from TSS that goes over the pillar? I really don't know why i'd need the third gauge anyhow...

Comment

the most important guages for a boosted application;

-AFM
          -Boost
          -EGT

many more avaliaible as you know, suggest as well;

-fuel PSI

Comment

Oil pressure is a good one to have on any engine.

Here is my gauges in the stock location. Belive it or not I did it with black painted tupperware!!!!!!! I think it looks pretty good because its not setting all the way back in each hole but all the way to the surface of the dash.

85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Are fuel pressure, egt, and afm gauges really that important to somebody planning to run the factory fuel system? I'm doing the na2t thing and i'm hoping I can pull a bit of timing and run less-expensive 89 octane fuel. There is already a the factory oil pressure guage, but it has highly suspicious accuracy/precision. Already a coolant temp gauge too, but questionable.

The fuel pressure, fuel ratio, and egt gauges wont' be needed untill years down the road i'm afraid, if ever.

Comment

Well what the hell then? What kind of gauge answers are you looking for? I would think what every body said before would be the best options. Unless you want to go with a huge ricer tach like I did. I did it because after switching to the TECII I would have to get an MSD tach adaptor to make the factory tach work(like $70) SO... I just got that tach and shift light for $80. :roll:

Comment

Sorry. i'll clarify. my bad.
                  I think i've decided on the pod from TSS with 2 gauges. Less cost and i'm buying a load from Dan anyway. Maybe fewer quality issues.

One will be boost. My question is, since i only have one other gauge, what should it be?

All opinions welcome.

Also, which oil tempature is better for this aplication? the 100-250F or the 140-300? What's a comfortable oil tempature? I really don't have any idea.

Comment

Az4u2c wrote:
                    One will be boost. My question is, since i only have one other gauge, what should it be?

i believe many will agree with this

AFM

didnt turbo models come with a oil temp, and why replace it? if your worried about accuracy just replace the sensor and check the connections.

Comment

[quote]88sinZ wrote:
                      Originally posted by Az4u2c

i believe many will agree with this

AFM
                      Originally posted by Az4u2c

didnt turbo models come with a oil temp, and why replace it? if your worried about accuracy just replace the sensor and check the connections.
                      I'll agree with that if it is a wide band afm. other that that, meh :roll:

Comment

once again, i'm doing an NA2t. and my parts car's gauges are fubar. And I won't be running a wideband for several years yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X