Headlamp sensor??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlamp sensor??

Location- Passenger side engine bay, mounted to front of the strut tower, just behind the relay box. 1.5" x 3" box.

As far as I can tell from looking at the FSM the "headlamp sensor" is a detection circuit for Betty. Yes, No...am I missing some other purpose for this thing?

Here is why I ask: My new 85 had a blown headlamp when I bought it. No biggie. I swapped over the recently purchased headlamps and fog-lights from my 84. Then after just a couple times of turning them on one of the head lamps went out. Could be a coinkidink but...not so sure. I cant really test anything right now since I am in the middle of an engine swap and other misc BS but want to figure out if I may have a bad headlight circuit.

Also I have wondered for years exactly what the hell that little box was actually for. :shock:

My initial guess is that I have a intermittent short to ground ( not likely but could be ) or I have a bad relay in the system. Passing, Headlamp or Theft warning relays. Any thoughts??
    Just stand back and throw money.
    Performance costs money.
    Reliable performance costs more.

I thought it was in charge of telling the headlights when to stop... Just a thought tho

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

It does appear to tie into the headlamp motor but I cant tell if it is a sensing or a controlling function it performs.

On thing that makes me scratch my head is that the SF models don't have the headlamp sensor or Betty...or most of the electrical stuff we are accustom to on the Z31. To some extent that makes me think it is more of a sensing circuit and not a controlling circuit.

I have relays I know work from the 84 so I will probably swap them out and see what happens and troubleshoot more if needed. :?
      Performance costs money.

Comment

it probably sends a signal to betty when you turn off your car and leave your head lights on.

i have wondered what it is for as well. if its for betty, then i can rip it out, i killed betty. she drove me nutz.

Comment

hahaha, that light sucks at its job.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I always thought it was a load sensor for the motors.... too much strain and it stops them

but since the headlight down mod is so unrelated and easy I never explored it

Comment

The headlight sensor, as well as the brake light sensor, is a circuit that pops the "light" light on when theres not a complete circuit in the lighting.
              These senors don't controll anything, except the warning light.

These sensors can go bad (loose solder point usually) and will be whats breaking the circuit.
              At which point you can either shell out the $300 or so Nissan wants for a news one, junkyard it, or ditch the sensor completely and solder up the wires.

I had my brake light sensor malfunction a while back. Tried re-soldering the connection, it broke loose, tried again, broke loose again. Then I pulled the lead through the board a little, and bent the end, made it so it couldn't pop out again, soldered it up. But it broke again. At that point I just ditched the sensor all together and connected the wires right to each other.
              Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
              1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
              2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I completely overestimated this things function as I was looking at the FSM wiring diagram. :shock:
                Performance costs money.

Comment

Working...
                X