No announcement yet.

Shift Knob Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead of using the setscrews in that generic one, just mix up some epoxy and fill the hole.
    Let it set and harden then drill and tap the thread pattern you need.
    I did this on my datsun truck to fit one from a 200SX.
    I had on an aftermarket one for awhile with the set screws but it never felt right and wobbled.
    I tried filling it with bondo and cutting new threads, but eventually the bondo chipped loose.
    Thats when i switched to the 200sz shifter and epoxy.

On my pro 5.0 shifter i used one from a 200SX as well.
    Its the same as the stock but its black and the thread was smaller.
    I drilled out the threads and tapped it larger with a fine thread tap (left over from a stripped
    seatbelt bolt from my truck), then more then accuratly rethreaded to the shifter by heating up the
    shifter post with a torch.
    I'd thread the knob on one or two turns then back it off, reheat and repeat.
    The fine thread tap atleast got the twist down so as i rethreaded it over the heated post, it had a rough path to follow.
    Its pretty damn solid now.
    Got pics of the process at home, will reedit with pics later.

Using BHSCS makes reinstalling the t5 shifter easier, holes don't have to be drilled huge for a socket.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

So this is the shifter i bought.

I don't have a picture of it installed, sorry. It's a tad smaller than a billiard ball and fits my hand nicely. I didn't know if i'd like the round thing, but it's not bad. I bought this because the bolt was 7/16-20 and nothing but old mudstains and shit came with that thread style, so retro knobs where my only option. This is a Hurst knob. I like it, seams to be good quality and makes shifting a lot easier than using bare threads, ,
      Attached Files
      My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
      My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
      207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: So this is the shifter i bought.

I don't have a picture of it installed, sorry. It's a tad smaller than a billiard ball and fits my hand nicely. I didn't know if i'd like the round thing, but it's not bad. I bought this because the bolt was 7/16-20 and nothing but old mudstains and shit came with that thread style, so retro knobs where my only option. This is a Hurst knob. I like it, seams to be good quality and makes shifting a lot easier than using bare threads, ,
        I actually liked the feel of a poolbal shifter. My buddy had one on his 5spd in a 75 Toyota PU. It had a nice feel and the extra weight
        seemed to make it easier to put in gear.

Where did you get that black one it lookes nicey nice.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

for the people using the maxima shift knob. I purchased that same knob and it is not fitting my AE shifter. Any suggestions on how to get this to work or why it is not fitting. It seems like the max shift knob is too big for the threads on my AE.

Comment

I was not happy with the stock height of the OBX shifter. For some reason it just looked too high for my liking. I did like the fact that mine was a two piece design that made machining it on the lathe very easy. Here are the reults:

Final product

Original piece before modification

After modification

Closeup

Another angle final product

Note: I honestly felt the car shifted much easier with the additional length, however asthetically, this is worth the slightly increased effort in shifting.
            2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

Comment

Z_Karma wrote: I actually liked the feel of a poolbal shifter. My buddy had one on his 5spd in a 75 Toyota PU. It had a nice feel and the extra weight
              seemed to make it easier to put in gear.

Where did you get that black one it lookes nicey nice.
              After driving the car for a while, i've come to love the billiard-ball shape. It's not actually heavy like a pool ball, it's a high-grade plastic instead of pseudo-ivory. It'd be fun to drill/tap a real pool ball just for shits. I got mine from Summit Racing. They can be found for a buck or two less else ware, but i already had an account with summit and knew what to expect. They come in white, too. Hurst makes them. Various thread styles available (i needed goofy 'murican ones).

It's kinda nice, there's no wrong way to grab it. I have very long fingers (that's what the ladies tell me anyway 8) ) and it fits my palm perfect. Cheap too
              My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
              My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
              207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Dose anyone know if the 20th anniversary maxima shift knob will fit a B&M short throw shifter (the one for a s13 that fits the n/a tranns)??? I know that the B&M is 10- 1.25 thread.
                352whp @ 24psi 427.1whp @24psi with Nitrous
                Yes I have raced my Z on the Daytona international speed way.
                Yes I did use nitrous.
                Yes I know how cool that is.

Parts list available upon request :twisted:
                Nitrous is like a hot chick with a STD… you know you want to hit it but you’re afraid of the consequences

Comment

Nissan_Nick wrote: Dose anyone know if the 20th anniversary maxima shift knob will fit a B&M short throw shifter (the one for a s13 that fits the n/a tranns)??? I know that the B&M is 10- 1.25 thread.
                  I am pretty sure that the stock shift knobs are 10mm X 1.00, not positive though. I just tapped mine a few weeks ago, but have forgotten all ready. The information you are seeking is posted on here somewhere.
                  2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

Comment

well i need 10- 1.25....... can anyone comfirm this 10- 1.00??
                    352whp @ 24psi 427.1whp @24psi with Nitrous
                    Yes I have raced my Z on the Daytona international speed way.
                    Yes I did use nitrous.
                    Yes I know how cool that is.

Parts list available upon request :twisted:
                    Nitrous is like a hot chick with a STD… you know you want to hit it but you’re afraid of the consequences

Comment

Nissan_Nick wrote: well i need 10- 1.25....... can anyone comfirm this 10- 1.00??
                      I now think I am was wrong. I found this on the Nissan Parts site:

The Japanese special edition of the 300ZX was equipped with a weighted black leather shift knob with red stitching. This knob will make a perfect match to the short throw shift lever kit. Will fit any Nissan shifter with 10mm x 1.25 thread pitch.

You should be good to go, if this is correct.

Comment

Flash http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/prod01.htm 8)

Comment

Working...
                        X