Clear All

• good read on aluminum cleaning

http://www.herohog.com/DoD/cleanalm.txt

I love the quote at the end there
    Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
    I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
    Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

Hey, that's good to know. I normally use a wire brush with carb cleaner to remove heavy corrosion and get good results.

Comment

hmm...interesting. Personally I like the clean and paint method. I like the pretty colors :wink: And crap doesn't seem to cling to painted surfaces quite as bad as aluminum or cast metals.

But yes, there are several options he listed. Overall, I have to agree with Jason, carb/brake cleaner and a good brush do a very nice job.

(If painting you need to rewash with a very mild soap to get the oils off of the surfaces)
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

11) Hydrochloric acid: (available as muriatic acid). Takes off corrosion
          (not oily gunk), bubbling as it does so, but leaves the surface dark grey.
          Use a stainless steel wire "tooth" brush ($1 at your local car parts place)
          to expedite activity. Don't use it unless you really like this color. Avoid
          the fumes.

I like how he throws in "avoid the fumes" at the end. NOT THAT THEY COULD KILL YOU or anything like that LOL. Noxious gas, WTF is that? :shock:
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Thanks for the link

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Yeah, Ive got a jug of muratic Ive been holding onto for some reason, Im kinda thinking of throwing some aluminum into it to see what it looks like I was looking up stuff about polishing my turbo while its apart but it seems like its gonna be more of a pita than its worth.

Comment

Isn't that the stuff they use to polish aluminum cans?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Working...
                X