Z is messin with me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z is messin with me

So Yesterday I go to start the Z and it wouldn't start. Not even a Solenoid sound. I was just like yeah whatever it is that stupid starter wire that is growing chia pet inside. Finally just built up to much resistance.

Didn't even think about anything. I popped open the hood to check the battery terminal/clamp. It was warm. I thought just from trying to crank it. Once again not thinking about anything. Fuck it, i don't need to go anywere.

So today I go out there to see if it will start. Noticed when i put the key in, the "ding-dong" noise was only going Ding.......DIng...... So i thought to myself, "low battery" and looked at the gauge. Below 10V's. "SHIT" WTF happened.

Must be some sort of parasitic drain. So i bust the DMM out that i always carry around in my pocket :wink: , err hatch. Take the Clamp off, set it to amps, and put in in series with the terminal and clamp. 1.4amps of drain going on. So I go disturb my newly tatooed roomate to help me out.

Had him hold the DMM there while i pulled fuses. Got to the 10A fuse about ~7 down, and the amp draw went down to about .3 once i pulled it. "oh, there we go, went down". Interior lights fuse.

.....My little map light was on ops:

Pretty sure it was on before i went to central valley with my mom in the vovlo for xmas. But i disconnected my battery before i left. I came back and reconnected the battery and never drove at night. So i never noticed :lol:. Glad i new what to do.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

great story.. im glad you posted it

Comment

I had my 86T sitting for about 3 months, the battery drained flat from the flashing LED clock that wont turn off in it lol
      http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

jesus :lol:

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: So Yesterday I go to start the Z and it wouldn't start. Not even a Solenoid sound. I was just like yeah whatever it is that stupid starter wire that is growing chia pet inside. Finally just built up to much resistance.

Didn't even think about anything. I popped open the hood to check the battery terminal/clamp. It was warm. I thought just from trying to crank it. Once again not thinking about anything. Fuck it, i don't need to go anywere.

So today I go out there to see if it will start. Noticed when i put the key in, the "ding-dong" noise was only going Ding.......DIng...... So i thought to myself, "low battery" and looked at the gauge. Below 10V's. "SHIT" WTF happened.

Must be some sort of parasitic drain. So i bust the DMM out that i always carry around in my pocket :wink: , err hatch. Take the Clamp off, set it to amps, and put in in series with the terminal and clamp. 1.4amps of drain going on. So I go disturb my newly tatooed roomate to help me out.

Had him hold the DMM there while i pulled fuses. Got to the 10A fuse about ~7 down, and the amp draw went down to about .3 once i pulled it. "oh, there we go, went down". Interior lights fuse.

.....My little map light was on ops:

Pretty sure it was on before i went to central valley with my mom in the vovlo for xmas. But i disconnected my battery before i left. I came back and reconnected the battery and never drove at night. So i never noticed :lol:. Glad i new what to do.
          Bookmarked

Comment

You are wise man. I wouldn't have thought to pull fuses. I left my car for a week with the door slightly ajar so the dome light was on the whole time. I knew something was up with i turned the key to the first click, I didn't even have to hit the starter i knew it was gone. That's when i bought a light-duty set of jumper cables and tossed them in the behind the seat. They came in handy a month later when i left my lights on :?

I'll remember that trick. may be usefull some day.
            My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
            My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
            207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Working...
            X