Headlight Removal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Removal...

Ive been looking around the internet for a long time now & still havnt managed to find a guide to how to remove the headlights on my 85'... one of my globes has gone & so I thought I might aswell just replace them both with Xenon globes. I cant find the instructions in my workshop manual either, hopefully I can find some help here. Thanks...

I also live in Australia if that changes anything... :P

1985' 2+2 Z31 Non Turbo...
    1986' 2+2 Z31 Turbo...

On my 85(usdm).
    Should be a plastic trim piece. Take that off (2 screws). Then you will see the Metal headlight retainer. Chances are there in there pretty good, so spray them with penetrating oil. I got away with just taking of the top two and folding the metal peice down. Pop the light out, pop the new light in.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: On my 85(usdm).
      Should be a plastic trim piece. Take that off (2 screws). Then you will see the Metal headlight retainer. Chances are there in there pretty good, so spray them with penetrating oil. I got away with just taking of the top two and folding the metal peice down. Pop the light out, pop the new light in.
      I did manage to get the plastic bit off, but then I got stuck from there... also do you have an idea of what type of bulb it requires?

Cheers for your help.

1986' 2+2 Z31 Turbo...

Comment

Doesn't yours have the one big light?

Comment

I dont know... I cant even see inside the glass. If you mean the actual headlight itself then yes, standard 85'.

Would any Xenon globe fit into the spot or does it have to be a certain one, & what amps/watt it have to be?

1986' 2+2 Z31 Turbo...

Comment

the unit is one peice, meaning the entire light will be replaced not just a bulb

i highly suggest picking up a Haynes manual, itll save you time on simple questions like these

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Doesn't yours have the one big light?
            thats the later style, come on man! :lol:

Comment

[quote]88sinZ wrote: the unit is one peice, meaning the entire light will be replaced not just a bulb

i highly suggest picking up a Haynes manual, itll save you time on simple questions like these

Originally posted by MrwassmanNA2T
              Ah I understand now, well thats a pain in the ass.. ah well.

The workshop manual I got didnt have it in there & its gonna be tough searching for a normal manual for it around here, but ill give it a shot. :P

Cheers everyone!

1986' 2+2 Z31 Turbo...

Comment

[quote]88sinZ wrote: the unit is one peice, meaning the entire light will be replaced not just a bulb

No man, havn't you seen the euro Z's that have just one big headlight instead of the Head/Fog combo?

Is this like ur car?

Comment

^^^^ Yeah mate that's how the Aust delivered cars look, minus the hood scoop.

Comment

Adman85zx wrote:

I also live in Australia if that changes anything... :P
                    i should learn how to read :?

Comment

[quote]MrwassmanNA2T wrote: [quote=88sinZ]the unit is one peice, meaning the entire light will be replaced not just a bulb

No man, havn't you seen the euro Z's that have just one big headlight instead of the Head/Fog combo?

Is this like ur car?
                      Yep thats what mine looks like, like he said, minus the scoop & mine is also not a turbo, does this change anything? 8)

http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ht3ju6.jpg
                      Cant seem to post it properly so yeah, just click the link...

Theres my beast... :P

1986' 2+2 Z31 Turbo...

Comment

Maybe the other aussy guy can help you. I don't actually know how the big headlights removal works. But i imagine it works the same
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks the same, only thing different is the light assembly. Other than that all the mounting hardware etc is the same.

Comment

Aussie or US, the method is basically the same. Personally I found it "easier" to remove the entire assembly frame and all and then swap out the lamp.

There is one bolt on each side towards the bottom of the assembly on the engine side that can be a pain to get to. That one bolt is your only hard part. The rest is cake. Personally I chose not to reinstall that bolt when I put them back in and have not regretted it since. 8)

The diagram that Mrwassman posted shows the mounting bolts pretty well. 3 up top, 1 on the back up high and the one down low that I am refering to.

According to "the books" you can remove the lamp without removing the entire assembly. I didn't have a lot of luck with that personally. Perhaps it was just me. :?
                            Just stand back and throw money.
                            Performance costs money.
                            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Ok I think I understand now, the "finisher" comes off quite easily but the top 2 screws of the actual lights behind that just seem to spin & spin & spin... is there a trick to getting a 21 year old screw to unscrew? :P

Do you have to take the protector off to get the lamp out? Cos I know that one of the screws is right next to the bodywork, & there is no way in hell you could get something in there. :S

1986' 2+2 Z31 Turbo...

Comment

Working...
                              X