Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High temp engine paint

Hi guys

If you have painted your rocker covers what brand of engine paint did you use and how did you prepare what you were painting?

I was thinking i would pretty much strip them all down to metal and just paint them with the engine paint.

Who has painted the inlet manifold and plenum ? was it worth it and did it look good ?

Or should i just get the rocker covers powdercoated and save the hassle
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

I stripped the crinkle coat and cleaned with non chlorinated brake cleaner before putting on a coat of hi temp Duplicolor DE 1612 engine primer (500F).
    After a few light coats and a day or two to dry, i used a Duplicolor DE 1606 Ford Blue (500F) top coat.
    It was the closest to the blue i wanted, but it wasn't quite right after it had dried.
    A few months later, i found they came out with a new blue that was almost exactly the color i wanted, Duplicolor DH 1612 High Heat Blue (500F)
    I stripped them again and started all over. I liked the newer blue much better.

For the upper, lower plenum, heads, block, heatshields, misc engine parts, I used Duplicolor DH 1606 High Heat Aluminum w/ceramic (1200F).

I wiped everything clean with brake cleaner before painting. I didn't have a hoist so i masked the hell out of the engine bay with a couple of sunday papers and painted the block. The heads and everything else was painted on a bench.

I painted the Turbo exhaust elbow, both manifolds and turbine housing with VHT SP998 Nu-Cast Cast Iron Manifold Coating (1500ºF/815ºC)
    They looked really good...for about 2 years before all the paint had burnt off.

Pics: (note the SS hardware)
    Original Ford Blue, VHT manifold coating:

Engine mocked up, Original Ford Blue and High heat aluminum:

'nother angle:

High Heat Blue:

I'd get the rocker covers powdercoated if you have the means.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Nice. Amazing what can be done with a little
      engine cleaner and some fresh paint.

Comment

I've used the duplicolor DH 1612 like Z karma and it worked alright but if I would have been able to powder coat it I would have. Go with powder coating it will last longer.

Comment

wow that looks really good
          85 Turbo Slick Top
          __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

Z_Karma wrote:
            For the upper, lower plenum, heads, block, heatshields, misc engine parts, I used Duplicolor DH 1606 High Heat Aluminum w/ceramic (1200F).
            How is the paint on the Heads & Block holding up?
            2005 whore magnet

Comment

[quote]SteveZ31 wrote:
              Originally posted by Z_Karma
              Originally posted by Z_Karma
              Really well !
              The Efan kicks alot of highway silt and dust into the engine bay, but after a wash its still really
              clean, but not so obnoxiously bright anymore. Its not flaking anywhere. Its been 4-5 years
              since i painted everything. I recently painted my Maxima alt (not in the pics) to match.

I also recently painted the P/S resevoir the same blue color and it was really vibrant
              compared to the parts previously painted.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

[quote]Z_Karma wrote: [quote=SteveZ31]
                Originally posted by Z_Karma:82847
                Originally posted by Z_Karma:82847
                Really well !
                The Efan kicks alot of highway silt and dust into the engine bay, but after a wash its still really
                clean, but not so obnoxiously bright anymore. Its not flaking anywhere. Its been 4-5 years
                since i painted everything. [/quote:82847]

Cool im going to give that stuff a try
                2005 whore magnet

Comment

freakin awesome

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Well since my enigine is out I was just going to degrease it and clean it. After seeing those pics though looks like I'll be painting it.

Looks damn nice, well done

Comment

very nice. you have inspired to pressure wash my motor and paint it with the aluminum when i slap my turbo on.

Comment

I second Z_Karma's feedback on this as well as the feedback about powder-coating if you can find a shop that does this well.

I paited ever dang thing when I built my engine a couple years ago. I also like the Duplicolor high temp paints.

For the most part the block and heads paint is holding up well. I used Red so some fading was expected over time. I used silver on the valve covers and recently repainted them with black because the silver was starting to discolor some.

I went with black on the valve covers and the L&P plenum because I have not been able to find anyone locally that I would trust to powder-coat ANYTHING. :evil: (complete idiots) Black valve covers and plenum can make your engine bay look like a black hole. I will be changing this to something lighter.

btw- Pics on the WWW below.
                        Just stand back and throw money.
                        Performance costs money.
                        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: I second Z_Karma's feedback on this as well as the feedback about powder-coating if you can find a shop that does this well.

I paited ever dang thing when I built my engine a couple years ago. I also like the Duplicolor high temp paints.

For the most part the block and heads paint is holding up well. I used Red so some fading was expected over time. I used silver on the valve covers and recently repainted them with black because the silver was starting to discolor some.

I went with black on the valve covers and the L&P plenum because I have not been able to find anyone locally that I would trust to powder-coat ANYTHING. :evil: (complete idiots) Black valve covers and plenum can make your engine bay look like a black hole. I will be changing this to something lighter.

btw- Pics on the WWW below.
                          What about buying your own powder coating kit? I would like to atleast try those from Harbour Freight for $100...some people say they suck but others say they are good enough for amateurs....
                          http://www.vgpowered.com
                          Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

^ I actually thought about that and I may still do it for a few parts. A guy who has a high end auto shop has been getting his feet wet with doing his own powder-coating over the last year so I will see how he is feeling about their progress. They build top notch restorations and custom classic cars.

He offered to do my parts at cost about 18months ago but I passed since I would be their first real life project. :shock: They were experimenting on junk parts at that time. He understood. Nice guy. He got tired of paying shipping to have his stuff done and decided someone here has to be able to figure out how to do automotive parts well since no one else seems to be able to do anything that isn't industrial.
                            Just stand back and throw money.
                            Performance costs money.
                            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

I recently just got a Summit Racing tool catalogue and they have their own powder coating kit for 180 bucks

just go buy that and then find yourself an oven at a thrift store (they had a fuckin Dacor electric oven that worked just fine here in SB for only 100 bucks) since you don't want to be baking shit in the same oven you make food in

Comment

Working...
                              X