90 amp Maxima alternator amps at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 amp Maxima alternator amps at idle

Does anybody know how many amps the 90 amp Maxima alternator puts out at idle speed or around 1000 rpm?
    Shiro #443

unless i dont know what im talking about you should get 14.4 volts
    im running a quest alternator and thats what is for me at idle.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

Comment

he is asking for amps not volts.

i have a 30 amp current draw from my audio system, and a very small battery, and i dip to 12.0-12.2 volts on the factory guage, the alt keeps up well though
      Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

Comment

It does not answer your question, but I had my stock one custom wound for 135 amp output for around a $100.00. I thought that was very reasonable. I have not killed the battery since even with a large current draw from my amplifiers. I run an Optima blue top from Costco and return it for a new one every 17 months! :lol: Gotta love their return policy, no questions asked!
        2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

Comment

The amperage output curve would be specific to the make, but I got a printout with my Bosch reman. I honestly lost it, but I remember calculating with pulley size (because I swapped them) that it was somewhere around 40 amps at 1000rpm engine speed. I THINK by something like 4K rpm alternator speed it had a full 90 amps. If you had the curve you could size your pulley with your idle speed to get the appropriate amount at idle.

Any good shop with a VAT tester around you? I could always test mine, but the "insert same old weather excuse".

Comment

I guess I'll be alright. I just was thinking about idle amp output with the AC running,electric fans,headlights,Microtech and a laptop. I pretty sure that the stock alternator would be alright but I have the Maxima alternator.
            Shiro #443

Comment

Rick88ss wrote: I guess I'll be alright. I just was thinking about idle amp output with the AC running,electric fans,headlights,Microtech and a laptop. I pretty sure that the stock alternator would be alright but I have the Maxima alternator.
              Also depends on what electric fan you have, but looks like you will definitely need the Maxima alternator. I have Blackmagic electric fan that supposely draws 13.9amp, and I also change to H4 headlights from which I had to replace the stock 10amp fuse with 15amp.

Right now I have the 89-91 Maxima alternator. With full blown A/C, headlights, and stereo, whenever I apply brake during traffic jam, the instrument will dim slightly and then back to normal in 1 second. It will stay normal at stop light, until I speed back up to 5mph and apply the brake, it will dim slightly again. I hope this gives you some idea.
              Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: The amperage output curve would be specific to the make, but I got a printout with my Bosch reman. I honestly lost it, but I remember calculating with pulley size (because I swapped them) that it was somewhere around 40 amps at 1000rpm engine speed. I THINK by something like 4K rpm alternator speed it had a full 90 amps. If you had the curve you could size your pulley with your idle speed to get the appropriate amount at idle.

Any good shop with a VAT tester around you? I could always test mine, but the "insert same old weather excuse".
                should you go with a smaller or a larger pulley? i'm running a max altenator with the stock max pulley which is smaller than the z pulley. since i installed it i've never seen anything above about 13.9 volts.

boost. does a body good!

Comment

jjewell wrote:
                  should you go with a smaller or a larger pulley? i'm running a max altenator with the stock max pulley which is smaller than the z pulley. since i installed it
                  i've never seen anything above about 13.9 volts.
                  If you're wanting to increase the RPMs of the alt only at idle compared to what it is running now you would want a smaller pully on the alternator.

It's all about ratio.

If you were to install the larger Z pulley the alt would spin slower at the same RPM.

If you have a 1:1 then one revolution at the source pulley = one revolution at the target pulley.

If you had a 1:2 ratio then one turn at the source = two turns at the target.

Since the crank pulley is the source of all evil compare it's size to the size of the alt pulley and you should be able to figure out the ratio.

Since you're already running the smaller pulley though, the alt should be spinning faster at idle now than it would if you were to install the stock Z pulley.

Think of it in terms of gears on a bicycle. Same thing.

PT
                  - Visit my Z31 Cardomain pages -|- Visit my website! / 73, de AE5NW -

The phrase "It's just the Internet" is not an excuse to be an illiterate dolt.

Comment

Working...
                  X