Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]Firehawk wrote:
    Originally posted by Steve88t
    If only you knew what went on in marketing meetings about amplifier ratings.

Watts is a horrible rating and has been for years. It is almost hard to tell people what to look for when you know none of the numbers mean anything.
    So how do you get your information? I get alot of stuff going on in the industry from my friend that runs Custom Sounds. I have been into car stereo for a long time, and how things change from year to year is amazing.
    I've worked for several mfg's over the many years. Kicker is just one of them. After all this time I have connections with most the big players in the industry.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

You should turn those subs around to face the hatch, you'll get a better sound...
      http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

300zxt wrote: You should turn those subs around to face the hatch, you'll get a better sound...
        I have to disagree with blanket statements like that. You don't know he'll get better sound because you haven't tried it with his car then asked his opinion if it was better.

Corner loading enhances lower frequencies. BUT that is not always desirable.

Comment

Sure try both ways and see what's best, but generally speaking subwoofers facing the rear simply sound better because the more distance the wavelengths have to travel the better quality the bass will be. But whatever, having them blasting into your skull from 1ft away might be better for some people sure...

Comment

300zxt wrote: Sure try both ways and see what's best, but generally speaking subwoofers facing the rear simply sound better because the more distance the wavelengths have to travel the better quality the bass will be. But whatever, having them blasting into your skull from 1ft away might be better for some people sure...
            If you think that any location in a car is going to improve sound quality of subs becuase it is further from your ear, you and I have different ideas of what sounds "good".

I have never seen any indication that sound has to travel any amount of distance to sound good or that traveling further improves it. If either of those were the case, then the headphone market would have never got a start.

I understand the theory of time alignment and its importance to imaging and staging. But when the wavelength of 100hz is 9840000 ft, that extra .00008 seconds is extrememly unlikely to influence the human perception of any of these. Especially since lower frequencies are less directional and the human ear is attenuated to most of the sub-bass band.

Comment

I'm too lazy to explain it in great detail myself plus I'm not a sound technician but every source I've read and every sound guy I've spoken to regarding subwoofer installs in a hatchback car say that facing them rearward is better. It creates better bass due to the distance the sound waves have to travel and that they put out more sound when they're deflecting off something. But who cares do whatever sounds best for you, I was just saying what I've heard and dont want to start a meaningless audio lingo discussion that nobody cares about.

Comment

Far too often they are just that. Arguments no one cares about. I'll be happy to debate most any subject as long as people are willing to debate it intelligently and don't revert to anger or unsubstantiated rhetoric.

I no longer haunt any audio forums as they all seemed to have an agenda. So the little stimulation I get in Z forums is always welcome.

Comment

SATAN wrote: You dont break tempered glass with subs, I dont care what, who, has told you. IT DOESNT HAPPEN. The reason people replace the glass in competition bass vehicles is because of the flex of the glass in a normal vehicle. Tempered glass requires a pressure of 10,000 lbs sq/inch to break. Subs dont do that. Will they pop them out of the gasket? Sure, I've heard of that happening.
                  In most SPL contests you HAVE to play your system with all the windows closed. Thats the rules, Unless you run outlaw.

Also, watts doesnt mean shit either! As far as what your amplifier says it can push anyways. The amplifier can ONLY push that power if it has enough current supplied to it.
                  Nobody told me anything about breaking tempered glass. I was impressed by the size of your system, and I was joking around...sorry
                  And as far as watts go, you are totally right. Nowadays it seems like when the average joe walks into best buy and is like give me a stereo system, 9/10 systems sell based on peak output. It makes me sick...
                  "produce first.talk second."

Comment

300zxt Wrote:
                    But whatever, having them blasting into your skull from 1ft away might be better for some people sure...
                    Lol. My freind had a fairly good system in his car, and he turned the subs around to face the rear hatch. I have to say it sounded better. But the glass in the hatch ended up cracking.

Ive always found that you can build a much better overall system if you pay more attention to your speakers rather than just buying the best amp/subwoofer combination you can afford, in the search for pure bass like the majority seem to look for. Bass isnt hard to get. But overall sound quality is something that takes a little more consideration. I suppose it all depends on exactly what kind of music you will be listening to...

Comment

William86Turbo wrote: Lol. My freind had a fairly good system in his car, and he turned the subs around to face the rear hatch. I have to say it sounded better. But the glass in the hatch ended up cracking.

Ive always found that you can build a much better overall system if you pay more attention to your speakers rather than just buying the best amp/subwoofer combination you can afford, in the search for pure bass like the majority seem to look for. Bass isnt hard to get. But overall sound quality is something that takes a little more consideration. I suppose it all depends on exactly what kind of music you will be listening to...
                      My experience with self-proclaimed 'audiophiles' tells me that 99.9999% of of them only care about loud, low noises. Few have any understanding of sound, never played a musical instrument, and love to draw attention to their POS car by making it rattle like a pop can in a hail storm.

I'm very much not an audiophile. I don't know much about it. I'll admit it'd be nice to get a set of better speakers, but I'm not about to drop $500 or more on this stuff. I'd rather have go-fast parts. If I want concert hall sound, by god I get my ass into a concert hall. They aren't hard to find. I have a great deal of respect for those who know how to make a car sound genuinely good, but I'm disgusted by how few and far in between they are.
                      rant over. sorry.
                      My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                      My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                      207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Yeah, my total system consisted of an Alpine deck, poineer 6 1/2's and two polk audio tweeters, all powered by a cadence amp. Then I had the subs with a 1 farad cap(which I dont think did anything) and the mtx amp. The box was built to face forward and is TIGHTLY wedged where it is/was, NO room for movement.
                        I have read over and over again that subs sound the best when they are as far back as you can get them in the vehicle and facing forward if it is a sealed enclosure. This is how I had them. Once you get into band pass boxes and ported boxes, everything changes. Then you start tuning for certain frequencies.

I agree with you Az4u2c, I dont like a system with huge amounts of bass and no mid and high to complement it. The mids and highs I had in that setup were allright but still not up to par in my opinion. But I am picky. I have had people tell me that the system sounds "AWSOME" all around but they dont know what I know and I belive they are just in aw of the raw bass they feel, which is far from everything in a system.
                        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Steve88t wrote: Far too often they are just that. Arguments no one cares about. I'll be happy to debate most any subject as long as people are willing to debate it intelligently and don't revert to anger or unsubstantiated rhetoric.

I no longer haunt any audio forums as they all seemed to have an agenda. So the little stimulation I get in Z forums is always welcome.
                          Mmm, big words and audio technician lingo... I bow down to your clear and obvious superiority above all lol Get over yourseld dude, geez! I was simply saying what I've been told by others whom I would assume know more about the topic than you, but by the sounds of things you know everything so I could be wrong there.

William86Turbo wrote:
                          Lol. My freind had a fairly good system in his car, and he turned the subs around to face the rear hatch. I have to say it sounded better. But the glass in the hatch ended up cracking.
                          Hehe, loose window seal or just WAY too much bass!

SATAN wrote:

I agree with you Az4u2c, I dont like a system with huge amounts of bass and no mid and high to complement it. The mids and highs I had in that setup were allright but still not up to par in my opinion. But I am picky. I have had people tell me that the system sounds "AWSOME" all around but they dont know what I know and I belive they are just in aw of the raw bass they feel, which is far from everything in a system.
                          Have you looked behind the drivers seat lately? lol

Comment

I don't know all. But so far all I have done is give my opinion with supporting material and disagreed with supporting material. I was trying to be nice about debating a subject with you. Was it really necessary to start being pissy with your comments?

Comment

Haha dude, dont take things I say too seriously... I'm blunt and concise in my wordings, you'll know when I'm getting "pissy" trust me hehe

I understand that most cars will be setup differently, and that some people like one setup over another. I was just saying that generally subs facing rearward will produce a better sound especially if one doesn't like to have the subs hammering into their ear from a short distance away. It's pretty much impossible to get a good balance of highs and lows with a 12" sub directly in your ear drum...

Comment

Have you tried firing the subs towards the ceiling?

Comment

Working...
                                X