Subs in the coupe compartment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subs in the coupe compartment?

I think I recall someone doing this a while back but I dont think I saved any pics. It may have just been discussion and no pics...I dont recall.

The theory sounds good. Fittment will be the ultimate challenge, but if you pick your subs carefully you should be able to make this work very nicely.
    Just stand back and throw money.
    Performance costs money.
    Reliable performance costs more.

Z Wing comes to mind .. check for his car domain profile ..
    '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
    PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

Comment

That is a great example.
      Just stand back and throw money.
      Performance costs money.
      Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

you have to make sure the volume of the compartment works with the minimum requirements for volume of the subs. Im installing 2 Polk Momo 8 " in that area.

Comment

I did a set of 12" solobarics in there many years ago. Glassed the floor and built up an enclosure so they sat at the level of the carpet. I believe I got .75ft^3 to each sub. They actually were very accurate and musical despite being on the low end of their recomended volume. But the guy that does the specs manual for them has always been conservative in his job.
          http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Steve88t wrote: I did a set of 12" solobarics in there many years ago. Glassed the floor and built up an enclosure so they sat at the level of the carpet. I believe I got .75ft^3 to each sub. They actually were very accurate and musical despite being on the low end of their recomended volume. But the guy that does the specs manual for them has always been conservative in his job.
            The orginal solobarics were great sounding subs, and .75 was the preferred volume for a 12 according to expert installers. I ran them for many years.

For subs in the compartment behind the seats, you need to take in consideration the acoustics of the car. A sub will sound better in a corner than in the middle of a car, especially a hatch. I have done boxes in the spare tire well that sounded great with a single 10". Very stealth, too.
            Chuck Stong
            300+ Parts and Performance owner
            http://www.300-plus.com
            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

I have thought about putting subs in that compartment as well. My only concern is that it might be too close to the seating area, and they would overpower the rest of the acoustics. You would need a feature loaded deck or an equalizer to be able to get the subs sound output to a low enough level.
              Pioneer has a new sub out that you may want to look into. Its a new low profile design that only needs a 3" mounting depth and .35-.70 cu. ft. of space for a 10" sub. Its also available in 12".
              Link :http://www.crutchfield.com/S-znJJlIG...isplay=Pioneer
              -Mike
              "produce first.talk second."

Comment

[quote]Firehawk wrote:
                Originally posted by Steve88t
                I did a set of 12" solobarics in there many years ago. Glassed the floor and built up an enclosure so they sat at the level of the carpet. I believe I got .75ft^3 to each sub. They actually were very accurate and musical despite being on the low end of their recomended volume. But the guy that does the specs manual for them has always been conservative in his job.
                The orginal solobarics were great sounding subs, and .75 was the preferred volume for a 12 according to expert installers. I ran them for many years.

For subs in the compartment behind the seats, you need to take in consideration the acoustics of the car. A sub will sound better in a corner than in the middle of a car, especially a hatch. I have done boxes in the spare tire well that sounded great with a single 10". Very stealth, too.
                Trust me when I say the expert installers don't know as much about them as I do. I'm a little more in the know than they are. .75 is on the low end for SQ with them.

As for a feature loaded deck or eq, I don't use either. My head units (minus one Z has a fancy DVD head unit) are all plain good quality units. Good system design and testing yields greater results than any eq or processing ever will.

I also disagree that subs sound better in a corner. The corner is great for loading to get more out of a sub. But better is based more on preference and desired end result. There is no way to mathmatically say where the best location is with current technology or to put a blanket statement on best location without quantifying which car/driver/range/etc.

Most good sounding Z31s I have seen have had subs further forward than the rear corner. The only time I have liked a corner loaded sub was when I did a ported 6.5" vifa woofer in the driver rear corner for a comparison. It was great but suffered when you got pipe organs with a bottom octave below 35hz. It should never be considered to play synthetic bass, but it played music like you wouldnt believe.

Comment

145.5spl far from stealthy

85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                  04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: 145.5spl far from stealthy

:shock: That must be incredibly loud. Is your hatch glass cracked yet? How many watts?
                    "produce first.talk second."

Comment

[quote]Mike_GruiZinga wrote:
                      Originally posted by SATAN
                      145.5spl far from stealthy

:shock: That must be incredibly loud. Is your hatch glass cracked yet? How many watts?
                      watts isnt shit , i had a buddy who had about 1200 watts going to two jl audio w6v2's in a custom built box, and me with my two fosgate 12" p2's in a run off the mill box and a 10 inch orion hcca comp sub with only about 900 watts rms would kick his ass up and down the high school parking lot . but then again i went thru alot of trial and error with positioning of the subs , and about 6 different sub setups . i definetly did the budget/whatever i had setup , when he went and spent 1500 $ for a "professional" install . it made feel good 8)

ohh and satan , that is just crazy who would want to do that? i had to change my rear window seal in the mercedes i had my setup in because of spl . i can see you breaking glass if you ever played it with the windows closed :shock:

i got over the entire sub/bass shit , i have a nice little setup in the z i'm going to take out one of the subs because its just overpowers mids and highs too much . i'm into that sq nowadays ....

Comment

You dont break tempered glass with subs, I dont care what, who, has told you. IT DOESNT HAPPEN. The reason people replace the glass in competition bass vehicles is because of the flex of the glass in a normal vehicle. Tempered glass requires a pressure of 10,000 lbs sq/inch to break. Subs dont do that. Will they pop them out of the gasket? Sure, I've heard of that happening.
                        In most SPL contests you HAVE to play your system with all the windows closed. Thats the rules, Unless you run outlaw.

Also, watts doesnt mean shit either! As far as what your amplifier says it can push anyways. The amplifier can ONLY push that power if it has enough current supplied to it.

I run an MTX 81000D which is capable of pushing out a true 1500 watts rms @ 14.4 volts.IF I could supply the correct current. My amp says that it is capable up using a full 150 amps of current. Thats JUST the amp, then I have to worry about the rest of the electrical. Can I supply that kind of current? OR am I pushing 1500 watts rms? HELL NO! not with out a big ass alternator. I'm MAYBE pushing a whopping 300 rms with my massive 1500 watt amp and my 3 800 watt rms subs, all because of the lack of current.

SO, just because your amp says 100000000000000 watts doesnt mean thats what you are producing with your wimpy stock or slightly upgraded alternator. This is why there are companies that make 700 amp alternators. :shock:

Comment

If only you knew what went on in marketing meetings about amplifier ratings.

Watts is a horrible rating and has been for years. It is almost hard to tell people what to look for when you know none of the numbers mean anything.

Comment

Steve88t wrote: If only you knew what went on in marketing meetings about amplifier ratings.

Watts is a horrible rating and has been for years. It is almost hard to tell people what to look for when you know none of the numbers mean anything.
                            Well either way. FACT IS you have to push the power to make the volume, and you aint doing that on a dinky alternator.

Comment

Steve88t wrote: If only you knew what went on in marketing meetings about amplifier ratings.

So how do you get your information? I get alot of stuff going on in the industry from my friend that runs Custom Sounds. I have been into car stereo for a long time, and how things change from year to year is amazing.
                              Chuck Stong
                              300+ Parts and Performance owner
                              http://www.300-plus.com
                              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
                              X