AERODYNAMICS QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AERODYNAMICS QUESTION

Have you guys heard of or found any good sites that explain the extremeties (new word?) of aerodynamics?

Im trying to figure out some goofy stuff I read in Hot Rod with their project camaro where they state "removing the rear seal from a hood causes drag". I did that just to get air moving through the engine compartment b/c it is so hot here in the summer.
    I suppose that sort of makes some sense b/c of turbulence around the motor from incoming air.............what do you guys think? Are there any experts on this stuff among us? :shock:
    Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

Well, I'll start by saying whatever difference it makes, it will be a fairly small one.

Furthermore, answer me this, is air flowing into the engine bay through that hole or out of it? The answer may surprise you. Tape a pieces of string along their and see whether they are sucked in or pushed out. First instinct is always that air moves out, but I've read were that is a high-pressure zone on most vehicles, and air will be forced into the engine bay.

No doubt somebody here knows more about this than I do. I'm just speculating. Interesting question.
    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Read this.
      http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/aerodynamic ... ooling.htm

Comment

Awesome link Gary!!! I have a lot of work to do...........

Comment

internet trawler extraordinaire

Comment

That's some awesome read!

So I guess there are a few modifications to your hood design?

Move the front vents back maybe 6 inches? The aft vent created by the hump hood may need to be reduced since that's the high pressure area? Hmm......
            Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: Well, I'll start by saying whatever difference it makes, it will be a fairly small one.

Furthermore, answer me this, is air flowing into the engine bay through that hole or out of it? The answer may surprise you. Tape a pieces of string along their and see whether they are sucked in or pushed out. First instinct is always that air moves out, but I've read were that is a high-pressure zone on most vehicles, and air will be forced into the engine bay.

No doubt somebody here knows more about this than I do. I'm just speculating. Interesting question.
              Friends conducted the same experiment on a washered 240 hood. Sucked the string in

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

simply86T wrote: So I guess there are a few modifications to your hood design?
                Yep. The reading of "Datsuns.com's Aerodynamics and Cooling killed the
                vent in front of the windshield ... so on to the Butter Vent idea ... just more
                work to provide under hood bracing. The vents up front are for the area
                where the air filter is. I want to seal that area from the rest of the engine
                bay and provide a direct air path for cooler outside air.

gm

Comment

Yesterday I went to the ALMS 12 hour race and we went walking around the sebring track. I happened upon some of the GTOs that run in the speed cup and got to talk to a Mechanic/race fabricator.
                  I told me this is a valid tested method for pressure release from the engine compartment that keeps air flowing up the windwhield. I learned a lot yesterday which I will be posting in mechanical more then here b/c it has to do with cooling v.s aerodynamics.

this is a carbon fiber flap that covers the cowl on the car. this hood was vented in the middle with 4 louvers and a really large (and sealed to the radiator) section in the front for the radiator that rides down similiar to the GT40. I wish I wouldve gotten better pictures of it. I thought I did, but didnt DUR-DUH-DUR

Comment

Working...
                  X