twin intakes in the hood of the 88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twin intakes in the hood of the 88

well here's what i've got done so far to this 300zx hood. The photos are at different stages of development, as it sits there are 36 pieces welded in to the hood... and about 50 hours

8.5 custom arias pistons (.020 over)
    eagle rods
    t70 turbo (man was that a squeeze)
    38 mm external wastegate
    mild port/polish
    3 angle valve job
    custom intercooler piping
    twin external intakes with z32 maf
    rad moved back
    3" exhaust with only a resonator
    romulator
    420cc injectors
    custom body work, homemade oil lines and fittings..
    walbro 255lph in-line fuel pump.... and lots of headaches... lol

why??? you couldnt find a spot under the front fender that didnt involve destroying the look of the car ?? , im sorry but its butt ugly..

now to the actual good stuff... whats up with those dual afm's???

Comment

As for the ugly.. well i guess that's a matter of opinion, most seem to like it so far that have seen it. Why dual afms? well because if they both register half the air and they are hooked up in parralell they will send an average voltage that the computer should read as half the airflow that it expects, then mutiply the k value by 2 and it should be able to flow 600 hp i think. maybe i'm wrong but it works in my head so far. It was a cheap alternative to a single z32 maf and that's really about it. The z32 guys do it occasionally so i figured why not on the z31? And as for what ecu -- the stock ecu and a romulator which has been causing me major issues that hopefully i can resolve soon. (btw -- i've been running on one intake and one maf for initial tuning)
      eagle rods
      38 mm external wastegate
      mild port/polish
      3 angle valve job
      rad moved back
      romulator
      420cc injectors

Comment

hmm i dont know it just looks so ricearoni to me , how wil the hood be able to open anyway? , is this drag only car or something?? what about the rain,snow?? and if the 2-afm thing works out for you maybe il try that out when i max my single z31 afm.... i have another afm sittting around..

Comment

t70 wrote: As for the ugly.. well i guess that's a matter of opinion, most seem to like it so far that have seen it. Why dual afms? well because if they both register half the air and they are hooked up in parralell they will send an average voltage that the computer should read as half the airflow that it expects, then mutiply the k value by 2 and it should be able to flow 600 hp i think. maybe i'm wrong but it works in my head so far. It was a cheap alternative to a single z32 maf and that's really about it. The z32 guys do it occasionally so i figured why not on the z31? And as for what ecu -- the stock ecu and a romulator which has been causing me major issues that hopefully i can resolve soon. (btw -- i've been running on one intake and one maf for initial tuning)
          huh? the Z32 guys don't use dual mafs, they use one and have one filter that gives air to the meter, and one filter that gives completely unmetered air. like jasons setup.
          1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

i saw these pictures before you posted them off of jukka's sight.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

actually the second maf has a 2.5" intake so that if i want i can go with a bypass system instead and restore the original k value and it will run as normal... and there was some talk on one of the z32 sights about running dual mafs infact go here http://ztechz.net/id10.html and go halfway down and there is mention of doing this to a z32. As for somebody else having these pictures on their site it's possible that they found the pictures here -- http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=21887. And who is Jukka? I can't find him on this site... Man.. I have absolutely no reason to lie about what i do... in fact right now.. I can't get the bloody car to run -- the only way the bloody thing will run at all right now is with the k-value set to 0040 when (with 420cc injectors) it should be at least 0120-0150 (all hex values) And I can't figure out the problem..

On a more positive note -- as for the question of wether it is only a drag car -- pretty much. The owner of the car is a hardcore race fan and mainly wants it for drag racing -- i'm sure it will be driven a fair amount in town though and since we live in the city with the most sunshine in canada per year, it shouldn't be much of a problem. However, there is one other thing that might be very interesting to see -- if it is run in light rain i suspect the added water will heavily reduce intake temperatures (water injection i realize is a calculated amount) and thus not hurt the motor anyhow.
              eagle rods
              38 mm external wastegate
              mild port/polish
              3 angle valve job
              rad moved back
              romulator
              420cc injectors

Comment

just so you know driving in rain with those scoops will probably soak the filters and either cause suffocating or sucking in large globs of water, which unlike sucking in water mist can be harmful

as for the dual afm, I don't see why you'd need to average the output

as I'm sure you're read, the afm at idle is between 1 and 2volts, the ecu is limited to read something like 5volts so even if the afm can meter higher like 6volts the ecu will consider it the peak value.... so the ideal isn't the half the voltage but rather to drop it so that your target airflow will be reachable at a voltage below the ecu's cutoff...

dropping the stock afm voltage by say 1volt via circuitry is one way.... or bypassing about that much air with a tiny tube from the second filter rather than full diameter piping, such as a 1" pipe

Comment

voltage in parralell does not change.. two 1 volt signals equal 1 volt... so if both afm's would normally read 1 volt (given that they were alone with no bypass) they will (assuming linearity) read 0.5 volts each... which will send a message to the computer of 0.5 volts... i may have to change the afm map to adjust for the voltage being halfed as it is not linear... it appears to be quadratic... so... i'll have to work out the math in the map. It may be possible to just use the z32 maf and map for it.... i'm just giving this a shot. Who knows what will happen... I don't expect the rain will completely clog off the intakes, but i'm not really concerned about that anyway as you know with this area being very low on rain. we have cacti, rattlesnakes, tarantulas, scorpions etc... very very dry here. I do appreciate the idea that it may plug off the filters... it's entirely possible... i hope it doesn't but if it does, oh well, lesson learned. This really is a drag car mainly, the guy is obsessed with racing... i just wish i could get the bloody engine running... going to see if my buddy still has r201 and replace all the resistors after i check the fpr and afm's. Thankyou very much for the suggestions.
                  eagle rods
                  38 mm external wastegate
                  mild port/polish
                  3 angle valve job
                  rad moved back
                  romulator
                  420cc injectors

Comment

t70 wrote:
                    I know this is vearing off subject...but I couldnt help but notice all those melted wires, and that cremated fan blade....

Very nice job though...you obviously know what you are doing. I guess you couldnt wait to get started after the obvious fire? j/k
                    good luck.
                    http://www.vgpowered.com
                    Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

wait a minute, you're running a stock AFM on cut-out resistors? Yeah, that won't work, unless you make a 2v drop on the AFM signal wire...

let me guess, the car would start, but would just SPEW out gasy smelling black smoke?
                      vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                      2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

lol! yeah... i tried everything to get that bloody thing to work... but i've got a z32 maf on it's way right now, should be here this week i hope. It was actually worse than spewing black smoke -- it would generally not even start. The bright side of the situation is that i have learned how to change the spark plugs very efficiently without taking off the intake plenum.
                        eagle rods
                        38 mm external wastegate
                        mild port/polish
                        3 angle valve job
                        rad moved back
                        romulator
                        420cc injectors

Comment

the z32 should work, AND meter up to 500hp ;D
                          you'll just have to do a bit of work to get it running 'right'.

going to adapt the dual filters into feeding a single maf? or just going to work out the unmetered flow? 1000hp capability sounds just crazy ;D
                          vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                          2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

spark plugs...intake plenum....don't you have the stock spark plug tool?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Twin into one intake for now -- one maf.. but it would be easily adaptable to have a bypass.... not sure what to do for he moment -- might even plug one of the intakes for the time being. As for the spark plug tool?? there is such a thing? I'm just using a plug wrench on a ratchet... The real pain in the ass is removing the plug wires.. I had understood that the book time on plug changes for that motor is like 5 hours or something stupid -- because they said you had to remove the upper intake plunum and intake piping to do it.
                              eagle rods
                              38 mm external wastegate
                              mild port/polish
                              3 angle valve job
                              rad moved back
                              romulator
                              420cc injectors

Comment

Working...
                              X