Speedometer Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer Issue

Well I just swapped in a new dash. The Dash I had was cracking so I swapped in a good one, the problem is my car had a digital dash and the dash I put in is analog. Everything works except my speedometer. The car is an 84 NA, the dash is out of a 87 NA, and the trannsmission is a T5. I was thinking possibly the speed sensor needs to be changed to the newer style? I really dont know, any help would be greatly appreciated...
    " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
    LaterZ

Well I just looked at my speedometer sensor, its a cable sensor. I tried replacing it with one of the electric sensors I have, it bolts into the transmission but I can not find a connector for it. Any help?????
    " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
    LaterZ

Comment

RedBeauty84ZX wrote: Well I just looked at my speedometer sensor, its a cable sensor. I tried replacing it with one of the electric sensors I have, it bolts into the transmission but I can not find a connector for it. Any help?????
      i looked into this a real long time ago, but from what i remember the 84-86 cars dont have the wiring for the 87-89 speed sensor.. fortunately, from what i remember it will only take a few wires to get it to work.. probably a power, ground and signal for the sensor, then just attaching it to the dash harness in the right spot.. take a look through the service manual, the diagrams are there. good luck

Comment

I still have not figured out my speedometer issue. Anyone who has swapped 87+ analog gauges into their digital dash car please let me know how you wired it...
        LaterZ

Comment

z

Comment

zmech wrote: If the 87 is the electrical analog speedo then it is very easy to wire up. Get the 87-89 analog speed sender off the transmission. Pull the cable out of the speedo gear on your transmission. Place the sender on your speedo gear on your transmission. This sender creates an AC signal that is frequency proportional to the speed that it is rotated. So you take the two wires from the sender and attach it to where the speed sender is supposed to go on the gage panel.

I do not have my manuals here at work or I would tell you what pins to attach to. If you need that info, just PM me and I will get it for you after I get home.
            Much appreciated . If you don't mind getting me the info for the pins when you get home that would be great.
            LaterZ

Comment

Working...
            X