X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New-Rear concept

I have always enjoyed the custom car, lead sleds, of the late 40s and early
    50s. The shaved, lowered, chopped, channeled and Frenched simplicity
    always highlighted the overall original design of the car.

For the past couple years I have been struggling with a number of different
    ideas for the rear of my 84T.

For ten years I had a Kaminari rear skirt on the Z, but I never liked the
    long over hang of the bumper and the Kaminari was just a bit on the ricey
    side to my taste.

I liked Butter's idea but without the bumper shocks, there wouldn't be
    much protection.

I figured with just a bit of metal work I could extend the tail light area
    to minimize the bumper over hang.

I looked around for a lot of ideas. Some of you might be familiar with
    Zparts.com's Custom Z Car Tail light Ideas which has some interesting
    treatments.

The problem is to find tail light that are not easily recognizable.

I bought a set of Altezza tail lights that have a bit of a Ferrari look to them
    and did a bit of surgery to remove the lenses. To take that idea a bit further
    I would fill the area around the lights with CF and pop the whole thing in to
    the existing space. Once a did a couple drawings, I could see that wasn't
    going to work either.

I collected a bunch of images of rear ends that had elements that I liked.

The over all shape of the Z31 is very classic. Adding a bunch of non functional
    bumps, bulges and scoops just detracts from the overall beauty of the car.

All the body modifications I have planed have been with a minimalist intent
    ... different but not overdone.

The last drawing is what I came up with over the last week. It will be a bit
    more metal work that I originally planned.

Re: "New-Rear" concept

1artworkz wrote:
    The last drawing is what I came up with over the last week. It will be a bit
    more metal work that I originally planned.

Kind of looks like an acura NSX. If you do something like that document your work. I like it but it still seems like there's something missing. Try doing some drawings from different angles??
    Funny stories!

Comment

looks a bit skyline-ish but there's nothing wrong with that .

Comment

I scrolled down through your images anticipating your final deaign. Sorry if I wanted a Corvette I'd buy one.
        As you said the lines of the Z31 are classic. Part of those lines to me are the tail lights. I did like Butters idea of reducing the bumper overhang.
        ...and how much HP do you have at 0 boost

Comment

butters design is the best yet.

who needs rear end protection.

Comment

84z31 wrote: butters design is the best yet.

who needs rear end protection.
            See, I'm the other way. I dont like Butters way. I think it looks like good work but not my style. What I would like the most is the 87-89 rear with the 86 bumper(sombody has this done already, cant remember who tho) . That is the only thing I dont like about the 87-89 is those two bumbs on the bumper. What the hell was Nissan thinking there?
            85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I like the lower valence treatment "fins" on the last pic .. not sure how the re-direction of the tail pipe would work??

I've been tempted to see if I could import this w/o breaking the bank ..
              '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
              PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

Comment

Russ84na wrote: ... Sorry if I wanted a Corvette I'd buy one...
                Corvette refresher

Comment

Gary, do this....
                  Take your first idea...

....but leave the tailights where they are like the Saleen S281. The design of the z and the stang are incredibly similar in the back with the tailights and the side sills and the design flows great. Make it in 2 pieces so the part that attaches to the hatch extends out into a spoiler.
                  http://www.saleen.com/s281_3v_photo_gallery.htm

Can someone photochop?
                  sigpic

Comment

[quote]1artworkz wrote:
                    Originally posted by Russ84na
                    ... Sorry if I wanted a Corvette I'd buy one...
                    Corvette refresher

It was the first car I thought of when I saw it. Still rather have a Z.
                    ...and how much HP do you have at 0 boost

Comment

Looks okay. I too have been designing a new back end for my Z31. And my first one, looked much similar to your pink one there... R34 Tails by the look of it... However I wasnt satisfied. It looks WAY too much like a corvette with swollen tailights lol.

Thing is, I like what I have now come up with so much, I just dont want to share it lol. Think what you will. Its just I really like it. That is really good though. I personally don't like how the taillights are overlapping the rear hatch. Meh. It is nice though. Don't hate me because I dont want to put mine up. I guess when i attempt and fail at doing it, i will finally post it for everyone to laugh at and humiliate me. LOL...

Comment

2+2turbo wrote: looks a bit skyline-ish but there's nothing wrong with that .
                        In my opinion there is nothing cool at all about making a Z look like a Skyline! That's just plain wrong! ops:
                        http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

[quote]300zxt wrote:
                          Originally posted by 2+2turbo
                          In my opinion there is nothing cool at all about making a Z look like a Skyline! That's just plain wrong! ops:
                          well thats because to you australian guys skylines are what to us are the honda civics. and in that case , no!, i don't want honda civic tails on my car .

Comment

2 +2turbo wrote:
                            300zxt wrote:
                            2+2turbo wrote:

In my opinion there is nothing cool at all about making a Z look like a Skyline! That's just plain wrong! Embarassed

well thats because to you australian guys skylines are what to us are the honda civics. and in that case , no!, i don't want honda civic tails on my car .
                            Yes Skylines are numerous over here. However, I still think even the R33 Skyline is a FAR nicer car than any honda that was made. Absolute Rubbish. Bar the NSX. hehe. But I know what your point was. I just stated something probably not worth stating. Oh well. Sorry in advance. Just My opinion.

I like what you have done with the Bumper though. It looks nice to me.

Comment

[quote]2+2turbo wrote: [quote=300zxt]
                              Originally posted by 2+2turbo:f583d
                              well thats because to you australian guys skylines are what to us are the honda civics. and in that case , no!, i don't want honda civic tails on my car .[/quote:f583d]

Not even really because of that, I just happen to be a fan of the Z31 in it's current form. I like the bumperless mod and other unique touches like that but trying to change it to look like some other car completely is just blasphemy! lol
                              http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Working...
                              X