tail lights staying on after car has been turned off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tail lights staying on after car has been turned off

This just happened to me a few minutes ago when I got home, I had to disconnect the battery. What the hell would cause that to happen???????

a bad brake light switch?

a good start.... it should be somewhere on the brake pedal assy.

Comment

p_bagnano wrote: This just happened to me a few minutes ago when I got home, I had to disconnect the battery. What the hell would cause that to happen???????
      See if the little plastic button for the switch broke. Check Bum's page for more info...
      http://z31.com/repairs/brakepedal/

Comment

I just found out why the tail lights were staying on. The little plastic plug broke that is on the pedal assembly. I just ordered some new ones from Courtesy Nissan.

Comment

you can do what i did and duct tape a crushed pack of cigarettes to the back of the pedal. worked like a charm for me when i broke my rubber pos
          Funny stories!

Comment

I hate it when my rubber breaks. :wink:
            My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
            My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
            207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

p_bagnano wrote: I just found out why the tail lights were staying on. The little plastic plug broke that is on the pedal assembly. I just ordered some new ones from Courtesy Nissan.
              Not that giving Courtesey business is a bad thing .. but couldn't you have just contacted a local dealer to see if they had the pieces/parts in stock? Might be faster than waiting for the Courtsey shipment??
              '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
              PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

Comment

3.24 here in LA and thats for 87

Comment

I just replace it with a nut and bolt. Works fine and will never break.
                  Chuck Stong
                  300+ Parts and Performance owner
                  http://www.300-plus.com
                  2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Firehawk wrote: I just replace it with a nut and bolt. Works fine and will never break.
                    wouldn't you need to worry about breaking the switch?

I guess the rubber pieces aren't all that soft anyway though.
                    1988 300ZX Turbo SS
                    2000 BMW 323Ci
                    2003 BMW 325XiT

Comment

ilovezumabeach wrote: 3.24 here in LA and thats for 87
                      Just to make you feel bad, I paid $2.64 for 91 octane yesterday. I started to bitch about the price, but then I remembered NE has some of the cheapest fuel anywhere so I shut myself up.

Comment

"Project Zedex is complete. I owe many of you a big thanks."

It's done? Where's the pics and details? Do we all get to drive it around the block???

Comment

jn1cz wrote: "Project Zedex is complete. I owe many of you a big thanks."

It's done? Where's the pics and details? Do we all get to drive it around the block???
                          haha. if you haul your ass all the way to NE just for a ride i'd feel bad if i didn't give you one. But nobody drives it but me. 'project zedex' was the title i put on the folder where i kept all my na2t information, so I began calling my upcoming na2t/5sp operation as such. Nothing special here, mostly stock except for 9:1 with boost, with some minor nik-nak details. A big accomplishment for a broke high-schooler :wink:

Comment

Ok .. so parts arrive? installed?
                            '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
                            PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

Comment

inqui-Z-tor wrote: Ok .. so parts arrive? installed?
                              Not sure if you are talking to me, but if so...
                              Yes. An SBC/DXD stage one clutch and gauges/pod from DanTSS just before he went out, 86 injectors and turbo, 88t ecu (with resistors wired in, tedious for me, i'd never soldered anything), swapped the whole 88t front suspension since i wanted the brakes, shocks, and crossmember, new custom driveshaft (88t cogbox in a 2+2), poly tranny/engine mounts from jason (engine mount install delayed due to dumbass dog running off with them and burying them in snow), turbo exhaust made to work, etc. Lots of little details. I did all that was listed here in 2 weeks over my christmas break with assistance from my father who supplied the well-stocked semi-heated shop and his own time. This summer I'll bump the timing up a little, it's set pretty conservatively to be safe.

I don't miss my slushbox at all (it was going out; BAD vibrations on the way out to the other end of the state to start project, I was starting to wonder if i was going to make it). I LOVE listening to the turbo (no resonator box, big honkin' K&N) and I'm looking forward to my upcoming track orientation school. I've been plagued by a brake problem, but new master is on the way, should be better soon. Nothing to look at really, only exterior change is the 84-85t spoiler installed by a previous owner or a dealer. I'll get it detailed up nicely this summer for senior pictures...

Comment

Working...
                              X