quick questoin...hood insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"fight fire with fire",

the plastic tabs on the hood insulation are supposed to melt in the event of an upper-engine fire, and allow the pad to fall onto the fire and cut off any oxygen that can make it's way to the vicinity of the flame.

fortunately, there are not many cars that come with this type of hood insulation anymore due to manufacturers quickly finding out that in MOST cases it will end up doing absolutely nothing more than accelerating the spread of fire over the intake and fuel rails, which could lead to more disaster.

The insulation is created to be a heat barrier for one that would need to open the hood, as the hood can get EXTREMELY hot to the point of scalding skin really bad when attempting to open it.

At least that's what I've been told by the fire department when I had the experience of having the local fire marshal, for some reason, sit in on our driving lessons class while we watched piss poor videos of some dude in an FC who drove at 200km down a highway that was packed full of kids chilling for no apparent reason and went onto the shoulder and ran over everyone in a quick swoop.

His advice was "it doesn't do much, so if it's old, just remove it. they are expensive, and should have been covered in flame-proof aluminized fabric from the get go"

Comment

It doesn't weigh much at all. I stripped mine out the day I got my car for aesthetic purposes.

like they said, doesn't do much anyways. I'd say it retains more heat than anything, which is the last thing my Z needs. :nanan?re
      Four Doors for More Whores

Comment

my ws6 doesn't have it and neither does the z. Get rid of it. It looks better without it.

Comment

When I bought mine, it didn't have the insulation, paint's fine though, I doubt it really does much. Go ahead and take it off.

Comment

That stuff does NOT do a very good job as a heat barrier.

Even worse, is people calling it sound deadening. The hood itself attenuates more noise than that foam-rubber-carpet stuff.

You're better off replacing it with some Dynamat Xtreme (note: I did not say Original), which is a MUCH better heat barrier as well as better sound barrier. At .45 lb./sq.ft. you're talking WAY better at "blocking" sound.
            '87T

Comment

I have been without one for a few years... seems to be fine.

I was thinking about getting some of this:
              http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku
              "produce first.talk second."

Comment

Well if there really is thought about replacing it...

Hoodliner is used to treat automotive engine compartments. It has a reinforced aluminized facing, which provides 97% heat reflection. This reflection reduces heat transfer to the hood and, thus, wear to the painted surfaces. It is also used in other applications requiring heat-resistive acoustic foams.
                http://www.dynamat.com/technical_specs_hoodliner.html

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-11905-Hoo ... B00069QLVC

No comparison IMO. I don't use Dynamat myself, but it's still damn good stuff. Anybody that says it doesn't work does not know how to intall it.
                '87T

Comment

Working...
                X