quick questoin...hood insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick questoin...hood insulation

Is there any point in the underhood insulation? Mine is flaking off slowly. If it is for heat protection for the hood paint I'll leave it on, if it's just something to dampen exterior noise, I'll tear it off.

Anybody have any problems from removing theirs? Kinda a dumb question but I want to make sure before i tear something off my car.

Thoughts?
    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

im pretty sure its heat insulation to protect the paint. if mine was falling apart i would replace it

Comment

its there for the heat reason, many people have removed it wouthout ill effects. If your paint is super nice I would keep it or replace it and not find out the hard way. oterwise, it seems pretty heavy and would probably be worth removing if you want to weigh the cost/benefits

Comment

I'm not sure if mine is doing me any good anyway, seams how a @$#%ing mouse made a nest out of it (in my heater fan, which i cleaned out about a year later).

I might tear it out. I'm not sure, but my parts car may have had one. Next time i get a chance, I'll throw it on. Till then i'll be blanketless.

I would think a black hood would get hotter just sitting in the sun than a white hood with now insulation bounding down the road. But what do I know...

Comment

When I bought my car it had that stuff on it and the paint was faded. But I think Z's to that anyway. Nothing on it now, and the hood doesn't ever get hotter than the sun gets it.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: When I bought my car it had that stuff on it and the paint was faded. But I think Z's to that anyway. Nothing on it now, and the hood doesn't ever get hotter than the sun gets it.
            It would be a bad day if the hood was as hot as the sun! :shock:
            Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
            1986 300zx Turbo
            2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
            1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

I am one has removed it on several cars with nice paint and it held up fine, even years later.
              Chuck Stong
              300+ Parts and Performance owner
              http://www.300-plus.com
              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

I have not had mine on for 3-4 years.

I think it's probably almost as much for noise as it is for heat. I've noticed it does seem to insulate a bit of noise from the engine bay.

Comment

Mine has been off for a year...no problems yet (knock on wood). I've heard its used for sound insulation (like Jason said) or keeping heat inside of the bay for the cars up north.
                  2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

you southern people kill me. to insulate the cars engine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

84z31 wrote: you southern people kill me. to insulate the cars engine :lol:
                      I hadn't considered this. I noticed on really cold days the car struggles to keep itself warm on the highway.

Comment

[quote]Az4u2c wrote:
                        Originally posted by 84z31
                        you southern people kill me. to insulate the cars engine :lol:
                        I hadn't considered this. I noticed on really cold days the car struggles to keep itself warm on the highway.
                        your thermostat is broken or only partially functional.

the engine makes boatloads of wasted heat, if you are in a place so cold heat was pulled from the bock faster that it was created, you would be dead 2 steps from your front door.

Comment

nutsaq wrote: your thermostat is broken or only partially functional.

the engine makes boatloads of wasted heat, if you are in a place so cold heat was pulled from the bock faster that it was created, you would be dead 2 steps from your front door.
                          Could be. I've only seen that happen once. The temp gauge read 15-20 degrees left of it's usual vertical position. I assumed it was the night. It quickly bounced back to vertical when i got into town and resumed city driving. I never replaced the thermostat, as long as it's only erring a bit on the chilly side, i'm happy.

Comment

I was wondering about this the other day also... So I want to replace my heat/noise shield with a nice clean looking chrome padded one. I'm wondering what material is the best to use. what material have the people who have it on thier high temp engines use. I dont like the black fiberglass look.
                            I have a speeding problem.

Comment

almost 2 years old :-?

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
                              1990 jetta vr6'd

Comment

Working...
                              X