No announcement yet.

electric fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e-fans draw lots of ampage, so if you have stock alternator, it's time to swap to a maxima alternator.

I personally use Flex-a-lite's 150, which draws 13.9amp and pulls 2800cfm, very beefy. It's all pre-wired with a built-in adjustable thermo switch, and it worked fine with my stock alternator for a while. One downside: it doesn't cover the whole radiator surface. But if it works fine with 100F days here in TX, I am sure it will be fine for you in Cali.
    Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

Mine is from an ~88 Pontiac Bonneville. Its not too loud (like my Durango) and it has two speeds, controlled by a ballast resistor.
      The bonneville motor seemed like it pulled too much current for my system, so i swapped in a smaller motor from a sunfire/sunbird...something.
      It dropped right in.
      The plan was for two thermo sensors, one set cooler to turn on low speed, one hotter that bypasses the resistor for hot days.
      Currently i just use a single sensor and use a jumper across the resistor for the summer months.

The shroud needed modification, so it was my first fiberglass frankenstein subject.

started with:

Resistor:

No overheating issues. The black knob on the left adjusts the setpoint of the mechanical thermoswitch.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

i just got my taurus fan in and it works great,it cools so well that my engine can't possibly overheat ever.

I wired it to the posi on the coil so that whenever the key is on it starts i love it and its quiet
        87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

Comment

87-85turbo wrote: i just got my taurus fan in and it works great,it cools so well that my engine can't possibly overheat ever.

I wired it to the posi on the coil so that whenever the key is on it starts i love it and its quiet
          Wait, so your fan is on anytime your key is on??? Thats pulling like 30 amps from the alternator at all times. You should just go get one of those thermostat kits for electric fans from auto zone or someplace.
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

simply86T wrote: e-fans draw lots of ampage, so if you have stock alternator, it's time to swap to a maxima alternator.

I personally use Flex-a-lite's 150, which draws 13.9amp and pulls 2800cfm, very beefy. It's all pre-wired with a built-in adjustable thermo switch, and it worked fine with my stock alternator for a while. One downside: it doesn't cover the whole radiator surface. But if it works fine with 100F days here in TX, I am sure it will be fine for you in Cali.
            13.9 amps and 2800CFM? Did you test that?

Comment

yeah dude. Me personally, I haven't even had to turn my fan on for the last 3 months... (Thermostatically controlled with a switch to bypass it). That is a NA radiator too...

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
                Originally posted by 87-85turbo
                i just got my taurus fan in and it works great,it cools so well that my engine can't possibly overheat ever.

Wait, so your fan is on anytime your key is on??? Thats pulling like 30 amps from the alternator at all times. You should just go get one of those thermostat kits for electric fans from auto zone or someplace.
                so my alternator is gonna work itself to death?
                87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

Comment

I think it is that you should never exceed 80% of an alternators maximum out put. So 80 % of 70 amps is 56 amps.

So figure all of your loads out and make sure it doesn't exceed that.

I.e.
                  30 amp E Fan
                  10 amp air con
                  30 amps headlights

Ya know what I mean?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

[quote]jn1cz wrote:
                    Originally posted by simply86T
                    e-fans draw lots of ampage, so if you have stock alternator, it's time to swap to a maxima alternator.

Hopefully I don't have to! :wink:

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/black-magic.html

The only thing I dislike about the 150 is its 4"+ thickness. After I mount my air filter under engine mount, it now rubs against the fan shroud.
                    Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

[quote]simply86T wrote: [quote=jn1cz]
                      Originally posted by simply86T

Hopefully I don't have to! :wink:

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/black-magic.html

The only thing I dislike about the 150 is its 4"+ thickness. After I mount my air filter under engine mount, it now rubs against the fan shroud.
                      Yep if it cools it cools Just seems that 2800cfm at 13.9 amps seems too good to be true.

Comment

Working...
                      X