Hood Vents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Vents

This should probably be more in "Engine Mechanical" or something because it relates to enigne bay cooling, but the decision is ultimately cosmetic because just about everything including cutting a hole in the hood should let air though the radiator easier. I've never seen hood vents on a Z31 that I actually really liked. 280Z vents are OK at best. I do like the hoods we see now and then from japan that have a dip and vent up by the radiator, but making something like that is very labor intensive.

The best looking crap I have found that is commercially available are these:

And they're still not 100% to my liking. I'm thinking of placement on either side of the hood about where the stock scoop is. Any input on other hood vents I could be looking at that I've not already seen? How about some photochopping? Thanks in advance.

Ya, the hood vents are tough. I keep thinking Ill see someone do some that really catch my attention but it just hasnt happened yet.

I know this isnt easy, but...what I think in my mind looking good would be the stamped metal vents. The type some guys with older show cars use. I have no idea how to get that done, but to me not cutting holes and inserting plastic parts in the hood seems like a good idea. Like I said, just a thought.

One other thought I am acutally going to try one of these weekends (yes I am procrastonating) I already pulled the rubber seal out of the back of the e-bay and it does help air flow. The next thing I am thinking is to cut a 4-5" wide cut out of the hood framing area right in the back rear of the hood to allow air to move out more easily. (the area that the rubber seal mates to)

Vents would be nice but the wrong vents are hard to recover from. My idea may meet the desired air flow results with no exterior body consiquences. :?
    Just stand back and throw money.
    Performance costs money.
    Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Vents - Large linked images !

I looked at several over a long period of time before someone made one I liked for my 280Z, I even paid good money for some cheap crap molded out od a sheet of plasic. They didn't even have the louvers cut out. I tried to return them and they actually told me "most people just want them for looks, if they had holes in them they would leak".

Ones that interested me...

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Jeep Cherokee (Limited edition 5.9, hard to find)

Kenworth T350

Among others....

Jason

Comment

I don't think those on the older GTP or truck really fit with the Z's lines, but I would like to see the jeep's photochopped... You know they has some serious cooling issues when they stuffed that 360 in there, the vents were mandatory from what I read.

My brother has a lightly modded 5.9 limited cherokee that he uses as a tow vehicle. They made almost none of them... but it's bar none the fastest SUV I have driven.

Comment

No kidding...I would actually consider buying a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 360. I have a J-GC in-line 6 sitting in my driveway (g-friends ride when we met). Damn I hate that thing. Drives like crap and this is after over 2k in parts replacing all the crappy suspension parts I can. :evil: I gave up about a year ago..fark it... :evil:

One of the strongest engines I ever dealt with was a 360, that thing loved abuse and loved to go fast and pull. Ah...memories...

Seriously though, I would put up with the rest of the Jeep Cherokee BS for a 360. 8)
          Performance costs money.

Comment

Here's some things I've done...maybe it will spark your imagination.

No photochopping needed. The one in first pic are the hard plastic vents shown.

Comment

^I really like the top one. The vents and the location look very good in my opinion. Are those still a work in progress or do you have finished pics?
              Performance costs money.

Comment

yes, i agree

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

That looks pretty good, I'm surprised those are the ebay vents I posted...

I was thinking of placing them more like the second picture. I know butter did something similar for his car and it looks awesome. He made them himself, I'm not that inclined to slave over making vents look nice when I could buy plastic and mold it in.

Comment

those aren't the same vents but real close... and butter formed his in the hood, he cut and bent his own hood
                    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

Those ARE the same vents.

Butter has alot of free time I suppose. Give a pipe and a torch a try sometime...I'll bet you'll find out how quickly you warp a hood when you heat it enough to make vents.

When I get those two finished up and painted I'll post some pictures Jason.

Comment

Well Jasons have 1 more vent, and the corners of each inlet are alot sharper on his, yours have more rounded/smooth corners, so unless you modified all that, they are very close.
                        1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

Good grief...same material, close shape. Not enough difference to spit at, lets get picky though.

Comment

Never really took a good pic of this, so here.
                            sigpic

Comment

Finished product

Comment

Working...
                              X