Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AE Radio Repaired after 16 Years. BODYSONIC LIVES!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, sorry. I checked the Bodysonic FSM, but couldn't find any specs.

Careless;326672 wrote: do you know how many watts/ohms the bodysonic units are?

Comment

That was a good time. Hopefully we will have more than one Z31 around to mess with soon.
      I'll have to bring you my Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie tape. I consider that the best cassette album I have
      Unfortunately studio recordings on tapes back in the 80's & 90's were crap. The best way to make a cassette is to do it how you have on a high quality cassette with a decent tape deck.
      I like the nostalgia of cassettes but I lack the funds for what I would really want, a Nakamichi Dragon...

Comment

That is a great write up Ethan and your compliments on Greg's work speaks volumes. Reading this and going through your pics has made my day. As it has been said before, it will be up to enthusiasts to keep these cars on the road as the aftermarket support is pretty weak right now.
        1988 300zx Turbo GL - 5spd, t-tops, all stock and staying that way.

Comment

Good Write up. I still have my bodysonic controller and seats from the AE. Hopefully I can help someone refurb theirs some day....
          DD:
          86 Black Turbo 5spd
          The Fallen:
          84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
          Parting Currently:
          86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
          Garage Sale

Comment

Hey Ethan84ae great job with the radio. Thought i'd add 1 comment / update for the picture you posted of the factory items under the passenger seat (Rear speaker amp has been re-installed under the passenger seat. Plastic cover protects the factory alarm module from spills. The blue cable is not used on Anniversary editions; it provides power to the seat.)
            That blue connector under the passenger seat that isn't used in your car is actually for the o2 sensor control amplifier. It was specific to GLL models and more specifically to Canadian GLL models. So if your AE is american that would explain why the connector is there but not used. I think in 85 and up they eliminated that connector unless the car was Canadian GLL. It's listed in the 84 AE FSM connector #114M.
            Not often you see a picture for that connector so for reference sake thought it would be good to note it

Comment

This is positively the best thread I have had the pleasure of reading on this site in a long time. Thank You.
              Black 1985 na/coupe brought back from the dead.
              2000 frontier for work.
              2004 PT Cruiser for gettin' grocery's.

Comment

Lot of people trash the Z31 OEM radios, mostly because of the increased quality audio available now. But it's nice to know someone still enjoys the stock radio, especially those kool bodysonic ones. I wish new cars had a feature like that, with the bass beating your back.
                Pharaoh's wife: 1986 Nissan 300zx 2+2 Coupe GLL NA V6 5spd RWD

Comment

Thanks for clarifying; I took a look at the FSM and I see exactly what you are talking about. My car is a US spec. Strange though; I've never heard of an 02 sensor control amp before...

ty86300zxt;326714 wrote: Hey Ethan84ae great job with the radio. Thought i'd add 1 comment / update for the picture you posted of the factory items under the passenger seat (Rear speaker amp has been re-installed under the passenger seat. Plastic cover protects the factory alarm module from spills. The blue cable is not used on Anniversary editions; it provides power to the seat.)
                  That blue connector under the passenger seat that isn't used in your car is actually for the o2 sensor control amplifier. It was specific to GLL models and more specifically to Canadian GLL models. So if your AE is american that would explain why the connector is there but not used. I think in 85 and up they eliminated that connector unless the car was Canadian GLL. It's listed in the 84 AE FSM connector #114M.
                  Not often you see a picture for that connector so for reference sake thought it would be good to note it

Comment

thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Hardway;326697 wrote: That is a great write up Ethan and your compliments on Greg's work speaks volumes. Reading this and going through your pics has made my day. As it has been said before, it will be up to enthusiasts to keep these cars on the road as the aftermarket support is pretty weak right now.

Comment

Ethan84ae;326807 wrote: thanks, glad you enjoyed it.
                      This coming for two members who seem to have excellent write-up skill. Keep up the good work both of you.

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
                      1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
                      1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Comment

Chivo_theZ_Pharaoh;326795 wrote: Lot of people trash the Z31 OEM radios, mostly because of the increased quality audio available now. But it's nice to know someone still enjoys the stock radio, especially those kool bodysonic ones. I wish new cars had a feature like that, with the bass beating your back.
                        *ahem*

I also have the factory FSM's for non-EQ Hitachi radios, just not a high enough level of circuit troubleshooting...and time.
                        Current project that i haven't touched in awhile is a Belkin bluetooth adapter that uses the tape-head pre-amp input.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

what do you need help with? send one my way with a copy of the FSM and I can have my father take a look at it. (electrical engineer / 35 years).

Comment

Cool! I'll definitely try to do that. I started copying the pages but a few are tri-folded with diagrams on both sides.
                            I'll PM you when i can get that done.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

is there a common gremlin that lives in all of these bodysonic units?

Comment

I wonder if there is a way to integrate USB connection for mp3 players or Ipods into the factory radios? Would be cool to have the stocker in there, and then just press a certain button on the radio to switch over to input from the Ipod/mp3?

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
                                1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
                                2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

Working...
                                X