Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AE Radio Repaired after 16 Years. BODYSONIC LIVES!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iirc what Greg84AE said, it's faulty capacitors and possibly weak solder joints.
    Also the tape deck drive band. I didn't get too many details as i know it's part
    of the secret sauce to his refurb business.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

"But wait, there's more - you'll also have any one of five multi pin ribbon cables that have one or more pins not making contact; AM, no FM, etc."
      Z_Karma;326862 wrote: iirc what Greg84AE said, it's faulty capacitors and possibly weak solder joints.
      Also the tape deck drive band. I didn't get too many details as i know it's part
      of the secret sauce to his refurb business.

Comment

NissanEgg;326860 wrote: I wonder if there is a way to integrate USB connection for mp3 players or Ipods into the factory radios? Would be cool to have the stocker in there, and then just press a certain button on the radio to switch over to input from the Ipod/mp3?
        That was my idea for integrating a non amplified Bluetooth adapter.
        Press play to switch the input to whatever you have patched into the cassette head pre-amp. Fooling the unit into thinking it has a cassette installed by defeating a couple of relays and switches is what i haven't got to yet. Audio compression through bluetooth isn't ideal but with a USB you would need something with the ability to change menus/songs. I suppose you could wire in a Mp3 player and have the play/fwd buttons wired to the stock radio buttons. So many possibilities to play with....

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

someone has done this with a blackberry music interface thingy behind a stock radio.
          i cant remember where i saw it, but its gone forever from my book marks

Comment

Reds89;326688 wrote: That was a good time. Hopefully we will have more than one Z31 around to mess with soon.
            I'll have to bring you my Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie tape. I consider that the best cassette album I have
            Unfortunately studio recordings on tapes back in the 80's & 90's were crap. The best way to make a cassette is to do it how you have on a high quality cassette with a decent tape deck.
            I like the nostalgia of cassettes but I lack the funds for what I would really want, a Nakamichi Dragon...
            Nakamichi 600 and 700 here .. Used to make all sorts of custom cassettes back then. I still have both decks. Both operate within specs too!
            '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
            PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

Comment

I currently have a CR-3 but have owned a BX-300 and a CR-7; all awesome decks that I bought broken, refurbished, and sold.
              inqui-Z-tor;326911 wrote: Nakamichi 600 and 700 here .. Used to make all sorts of custom cassettes back then. I still have both decks. Both operate within specs too!

Comment

Just in case it has been overlooked: http://www.amazon.com/Adapsonic-Blue.../dp/B008PUPBF6
                Z_Karma;326896 wrote: That was my idea for integrating a non amplified Bluetooth adapter.
                Press play to switch the input to whatever you have patched into the cassette head pre-amp. Fooling the unit into thinking it has a cassette installed by defeating a couple of relays and switches is what i haven't got to yet. Audio compression through bluetooth isn't ideal but with a USB you would need something with the ability to change menus/songs. I suppose you could wire in a Mp3 player and have the play/fwd buttons wired to the stock radio buttons. So many possibilities to play with....

Comment

woah! i've never seen those. I was just talking to someone about that the other day. i have the one with the cord that goes into my headphone plug on my phone.

friend: "why don't you use one of those FM receiver things?"
                  me: "because they suck, there's one in the door pocket that's worthless"
                  friend: "if only they had a tape deck that was wireless, you wouldn't have this cable everywhere"
                  me: "yeah, if they had a bluetooth one or something, that'd be tits".

lol thanks man :-)

Comment

Z_Karma;326837 wrote: *ahem*
                    /awesome

Comment

greg84ae;326920 wrote: Just in case it has been overlooked: http://www.amazon.com/Adapsonic-Blue.../dp/B008PUPBF6
                      now that's fairly brilliant. May need to get one of those.

Comment

greg84ae;326920 wrote: Just in case it has been overlooked: http://www.amazon.com/Adapsonic-Blue.../dp/B008PUPBF6
                        That is awesome! The CD is dead to me! There is even a new cassette box set being released tomorrow on record store day: Kill Rock Stars: The Compilations: 3 Cassette Box Set
                        Hey I don't know what it is exactly, but it is a "new" cassette album.

greg84ae, I'll get in touch with you if I ever pick up a Nakamichi tape deck one of these days

Comment

Z_Karma;326837 wrote: *ahem*

I also have the factory FSM's for non-EQ Hitachi radios, just not a high enough level of circuit troubleshooting...and time.
                          Current project that i haven't touched in awhile is a Belkin bluetooth adapter that uses the tape-head pre-amp input.
                          I need help, my tape deck wouldn't pull the tape in so I took it apart and found that the long belt had com off and was all wound up so I took it out to untangle it. But since it had fallen of the pulley's I have no idea how it goes back on. Please help!!

Comment

Great job going through all that to get back to the original. Looks good! 80s>everything else

Comment

Working...
                            X