no running lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no running lights

i have blinkers, hazards, hi and low beam, and brake lights. no running lights at all. no license plate lights either. all fuses are good. i have looked for bad wires/connections and blown fuses. i bypassed the tail light module already.

Double check the 15A fuse. Should be the 5th one down on the left side of the box.

If your not that lucky, my next guess is the light switch is bad.
    Life's short
    Go fast
    Have a blast
    Leave a good looking corpse

Comment

i must have checked each fuse at least 5 times and swapped relays as well. that is the way its looking...

Comment

Check your "Clearance Illumination Fuse"

2001 Mazda Miata LS
        also a 1989 Nissan 240SX

50th AE Build Thread SOLD 2015

Comment

i have checked every single fuse. they are all good.

before the problem:
          all the lights worked, but my gauges didnt
          the orig dash was trashed and the digi gauges didnt work. i checked fuses, looked for bad wires, changed power supply. still didnt work. so i swapped a 86 dash, 86 cluster, and 86 dash harness into the 84. gauges then worked, but my headlights would illuminate and keep going up and down and i had no exterior lights other than brake lights. i swapped the 84 dash harness back into it with the 86 cluster, now gauges work, hazards, signals, headlights, and brake lights work, but no running lights and the headlights wont go up or down.

Comment

Headlight switch turns on the headlights, pops them up, high beams, clearance lights, tail lights, license plate light, and dash lights. If some or all of these don't work properly, and all the fuses are good, I would go after the headlight switch. Either clean it or replace it. This is a very common problem in the Z31. Mine went bad in 1992. Most Z31s have had to replace them already.
            Restore it, Don't crush it. They don't make them like this anymore.

Scott
            85 Turbo, original owner, restored
            93 NA Babied

Comment

i have tried 2 different switches. both do the same thing.

checked the bulbs, they are all burned out. i replaced them and still got nothing. i think wiring somewhere is bad

Comment

problem solved! it took the right combo of parts to make everything work.

86 digi dash harness is not compatible with 84 car...at least without a re pin.

86 digi gauges operate as they should in a 84.

Comment

Which pins? I'm in the exact same boat 84 with 86 dash and my lamp fuse keeps blowing with high beams. When I say which pins, was it as simple as matching up colors, or did you have to read through the fsm?
                  1984 GLL 300ZX NA to VG30ET Engine Swap Big Turbo
                  1987 Auto Rare Kouki Slicktop Velvet-Cake (NA2T in progress: parts sourced)

Comment

Dude this thread is 5 years old. From what I remember you have to swap the harness over to match the dash.
                    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

• jy1235689
                      jy1235689 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I re-pinned the 86 dash harness
                      It took a week and a half but it was worth it.
                      Last edited by jy1235689; 07-22-2019, 02:04 AM.
                  Working...
                  X