Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6-10 Disc CD Changer...Can it be hard wired to OEM radio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-10 Disc CD Changer...Can it be hard wired to OEM radio?

Researching sound options...could a cd changer, 6-10 disc, be hard wired to the OEM stereo? I'd like to steer away from FM receivers.

If anyone has done so, how was the installation?

Mike
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

The only way I have seen is via FM modulation. I don't think the OEM radio has any other inputs besides that and the tape head.

Aftermarket radios sound 10x better even with OEM speakers :wink:

Comment

yeah oems ftw

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: The only way I have seen is via FM modulation. I don't think the OEM radio has any other inputs besides that and the tape head.

That's likely the way I'll have to go...I'm gonna miss the 80's fabulous tape deck :cry:
        2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

[quote]Signal 12 wrote:
          Originally posted by Jason84NA2T
          The only way I have seen is via FM modulation. I don't think the OEM radio has any other inputs besides that and the tape head.

That's likely the way I'll have to go...I'm gonna miss the 80's fabulous tape deck :cry:
          Think of it this way, you can make it even better sounding and not bad looking, isn't that what matters?

Here are a few pictures I just took for you so you can get an idea how they will look. I think Taris Blue's is down right classy:

My 84 (sorry engine and trans are out of the car):

My 87T:

Tehpopa's 86T (just installed):

Comment

I had a 10 disc mp3 reading sony changer in the hidden compartment that played via FM transmitter, you just turn it to your station and listen to it, control the changer with a remote. easy and keeps the stock radio look.
            1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

Thanks for the pics Jason, they look great. I especially like the idea of mounting an eq in their as well to fill up the space.
              2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Hey Jason,

What kind of boost are you running on your ECU?
                With a performance bicycle pump like that you should be around 30-35 PSI Right?
                :P :P :P

If you ever rip apart a stock z31 radio, the individual component boards can be seperated
                (tuner, preamp, power supply, tape deck) My plan in taking mine apart was to clean the tape
                heads and isolate the signal from the magnetic heads into the pre-amp and attempt to
                tap into it for a AUX input. I knew an electronics wiz in HS that would do this with aftermarket
                cassette decks and make his own amps.
                Things went terribly wrong for me when an errant screw shorted the power supply. So now
                my stereo is in a shoebox

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Is that an aluminium backing plate on John's? Or is it just painted?

Comment

Z_Karma wrote: Hey Jason,

What kind of boost are you running on your ECU?
                    With a performance bicycle pump like that you should be around 30-35 PSI Right?
                    :P :P :P
                    No dude, that pump can put out like 50PSI!

The pump enhances my peformance... via exercise. Having to re-inflate a leaking tire every time I start and move the car is fun.

Still thinking about selling the JWT ECU on ebay, anybody have a guess about how much it's worth?

MikeZ wrote:
                    Is that an aluminium backing plate on John's? Or is it just painted?
                    It's a thin brushed aluminum sheet, and it matches the rest of the stock stuff perfectly.

Comment

Can be done

FM modulation sucks.

Take the HU output signal going to the factory amp and wire it into the AUX port of the CD changer. Simple 12V A/B switch to change between the changer/OEM HU.

Switch up = changer with the controller below the shifter, or wirless remote. No steering wheel control but you can get body sonics to work.

Switch down = factory HU with steering wheel controls, body sonic, etc...With aftermarket amps, it does sound better than stock but not even close to as good as the changer.

This is what I did about 15 years ago. It was a hugh pain in the ass and the radio still does not sound that good but I really wanted to keep the dash looking stock (so no theft ). I have 3 amps, Sony 10 disk change, 10" sub, and MB Quarts separates. One of the best sounding Z31 I have heard and nothing (except for the door mounted tweets) is visible from the outside.

Comment

Re: Can be done

Rob-84AE wrote: FM modulation sucks.

Take the HU output signal going to the factory amp and wire it into the AUX port of the CD changer. Simple 12V A/B switch to change between the changer/OEM HU.

Switch up = changer with the controller below the shifter, or wirless remote. No steering wheel control but you can get body sonics to work.

Switch down = factory HU with steering wheel controls, body sonic, etc...With aftermarket amps, it does sound better than stock but not even close to as good as the changer.

This is what I did about 15 years ago. It was a hugh pain in the ass and the radio still does not sound that good but I really wanted to keep the dash looking stock (so no theft ). I have 3 amps, Sony 10 disk change, 10" sub, and MB Quarts separates. One of the best sounding Z31 I have heard and nothing (except for the door mounted tweets) is visible from the outside.
                        That's awesome Rob, great idea and custom work.

I'll have to look around the SS, I'm not sure if I have a factory amp or not. Where is it located in your car?
                        2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Under the passenger seat.

It was a hugh PITA. I had to get the FSM to decipher which wires to cut into. If you are interested, I can pull my passenger seat, take some pictures, and tell you which wires I cut into. May take me a few weeks, I have a crap load of car activities coming up (I belong to 3 different car clubs) and still have to give some attention to the wife.

Let me know.

Comment

Rob-84AE wrote: Under the passenger seat.

It was a hugh PITA. I had to get the FSM to decipher which wires to cut into. If you are interested, I can pull my passenger seat, take some pictures, and tell you which wires I cut into. May take me a few weeks, I have a crap load of car activities coming up (I belong to 3 different car clubs) and still have to give some attention to the wife.

Let me know.
                            I'm definently interested...this would make a killer write up. Take your time and give your wife some attention :wink: Thanks Rob,

Mike

edit: btw, I'll check under my passenger seat first to make sure I have an amp in the SS
                            2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

I'll be damned...there is a little amp under there :!:

Awesome, the 80's HU remains
                              2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Working...
                              X