Hardtop conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardtop conversion?

I've been toying with the idea of converting my 86 into a hard top, how easy do you think this would be? I dont see any reason why it cant be done, and it'd infact be better than a factory hard top because the body would be stiffer due to them compensating for the targas. I saw a hardtop Z for sale here in Australia for so cheap, but I dont have the cash for it right now and it's got alot of rust in it and overall too much effort to get down to my state.

In theory couldn't the targa tops just be taken out, sheet metal welded in their place and grinded down smooth, headliner re-done and then a full respray to blend it all in? Just curious what ya'll think about this, and if it's possible how I'm thinking it could be done. Thanks!
    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Yep, it could be done. You would need the slicktop exterior window trim though. I think that Steve Mitchell's car was converted with a junkyard slicktop.

Comment

Can't you hack the solid side of the tee top and weld it in place and do the rest of the roof liner stuff.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MikeZ wrote: Yep, it could be done. You would need the slicktop exterior window trim though. I think that Steve Mitchell's car was converted with a junkyard slicktop.
        I think that would defeat the purpose of doing it though, why not just restore the hardtop itself?

Wouldn't Victoria British, or whatever the hell they call themselves now, stock the hard top window trim? What's so special about? I'd hate the project to be un-doable because of a peice of rubber lol Hardtops are super rare here, rare to the point that it'd be nuts to cut one up to convert a targa.

[quote=MrwassmanNA2T]Can't you hack the solid side of the tee top and weld it in place and do the rest of the roof liner stuff.[/quote

Not too sure what you mean there...

Comment

many cars are not worth fixing either due to damage or rust, so a top can be in good condition while the rest of the car is not worth the bother.

Comment

Seems hardly worth buying another whole car just because of a few pieces of rubber, it's not really an option at the moment anyway as I've got nowhere to store another car.

I'm sure there's a more practical way to go about it...

Comment

The window trim that you need is one continuous piece that goes from the bottom of the A pillar to the top of the B pillar. It's very simple to imagine. The hardtop window rubber is also one of its own. These parts would MAKE the job much CHEAPER than having to buy them new from Nissan (if you can even get them) or having something custom made. That is why I mention a junkyard hardtop. Here in FL, I must see a couple of hardtops every six months, but they roofs are rusted out or someone at the junkyard has already dropped an engine on the roof.

Someone in this thread mentioned using the t-top trim and then just filing in the rest of the gaps. I'm sure it could be done, but there is no place to bolt the trim to the roof. You would have to weld in nuts or something so that you can screw in the window trim. Point is, it all costs money.

Jason, I'm still keeping an eye out for a 2+2 roof in decent condition for you.

Comment

Hardtops are definately not that common here, the one I saw for sale recently is the only one I've seen for sale EVER in 3 years + and I dont have the funds for it right now so that's outta the question unfortunately.

Comment

I hear you on the hard/slick top rarity thing. I am beating my head against...well everything the last couple days trying to find a new car/shell to transfer all my stuff into. Apparently 2+2 slick-tops are not that dang common any more. I can see a road trip in my future.
                  Just stand back and throw money.
                  Performance costs money.
                  Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Hardly seems practical either to buy a whole car just for a few strips of rubber... I'm sure they could be made up, or Victoria British might have them?

Comment

Sorry, I meant to address that also. VB or now...Black Dragon Automotive. Definitely has the molding pieces you need. they aren't cheap but they are new.

MSA has them also. (also not cheap but new)

Oh, they both have slicktop and T-top moldings and I can only imagine what Nissan charges for them. OEM Surplus doesn't have any for a slicktop, I already checked a year ago.
                      Just stand back and throw money.
                      Performance costs money.
                      Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Ah thats good to know thanks... New would be better, who wants to use 20 year old rubber on a new hardtop conversion? Not me! :lol:

Comment

300zxt wrote: Ah thats good to know thanks... New would be better, who wants to use 20 year old rubber on a new hardtop conversion? Not me! :lol:
                          If it's a matter of a $300 difference in price? ME ME ME!!!

Comment

lol Can u just imagine buying an entire hard top parts car for the rubber alone, and then getting the roof finished and getting it all done using the window seal from the parts car and then finding out they leak like hell in the rain? lol That would suck!
                            Attached Files

Comment

The junkyard down here lets you cut up whatever you want and take it instead of the whole car.

Using 20 year old window seals are fine as long as they are not dry rotted and cracked. Mine are still pliable. Not to mention, that car should never see rain if you were to actually convert the car to a hardtop putting all sorts of money into it. But thats me.

Comment

Working...
                              X