Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aftermarket Steering Wheel Installation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Steering Wheel Installation...

I recently purchased a Grant steering wheel from MSA... needless to say every box that came with it had totally different instructions for installation. I am curious to know if anyone has a write up or tips on installing it. I ran into a few road blocks with the horn part. I don't know what all I am suppose to use for it... talk about feeling stupid lol =

Oh yeah, don't buy grant steering wheels... they look nice in the picture and are really shitty. Worst 200$ I ever spent.

-Jon
    Daily:
    09 2.5SL Altima Grey
    08 4.0SE Pathfinder 4x4 Grey
    11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
    Z31s:
    88t Grey
    86t Pewter

utjon wrote: Worst 200$ I ever spent.
    :shock:
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

well i have a after market s-wheel. and it would make things alot easier if i had a s-wheel remover cause i almost hit my self in the face when removing my stock one(by shaking). and another thing i discovered is if you keep the s-wheel on the hub while mocking it up it make things alot easier cause i did @ first then i took it off. i ended up being a groove or two away from being perfect and i had to go through it all over.
      Originally posted by Racinjitter
      :lol: Those of us who say A/C FTW all have a g/f or wife. ac+women=more quiet=possibility of sex. -
      ac+women=SUPER BITCHING=no sex.

Comment

I also think the grant wheels (all but a very few) look and feel like crap.

I'm probably spoiled by my momo though.

Sorry I Don't have much info on the install... my MoMo was direct fit and looks great, while the grant on my 87 fits awful; the hub has a big gap between it and the plastic surround, and the horn button keeps falling off. Well I guess it's bash grant day.

Comment

Yeah, well I found the Z horn button so I think I have it down just fine. I think it will be ok once I install that. I just need to find the orange/blue wire and hook it up. Actually isn't all that bad, I was just p/o =P
          Daily:
          09 2.5SL Altima Grey
          Z31s:
          88t Grey
          86t Pewter

Comment

i think i have a grant or whatever they sell at autozone . pretty nice for 80 bucks , i picked the least tacky one they had (no D shape or cool little "NOS" buttons , just nice and black)

Comment

i remember putting a grant steering wheel on my toyota truck. i took the nut off the column all the way and then proceed to jerk the wheel off very hard.

next thing i know is i have a bloody nose. and a steering wheel in my hands. i almost knocked myself out.

if you leave the nut on with a couple of threads you'll keep from killing yourself. :lol:

Comment

84z31 wrote: if you leave the nut on with a couple of threads you'll keep from killing yourself. :lol:
                That, or use a farking steering wheel puller.

Comment

or recline the seat all the way and don't bend your elbows.... so if you go flying you land in the seat

Comment

first time I pulled one I about did the same thing... I realized it was gonna fly off half way through and decided to wiggle instead of pull really hard. I think the best thing I ever bought was a steering wheel puller kit... cost me all of like 15 bucks. I've seen a lot of people smack themselves though! lol

On a side note. I do like the steering wheel to a good extent. It just wasn't the quality I expected. I will definately buy a different brand next time but wtf ever. The covering on the outside of the wheel is fairly nice though.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SWM/50-3131

The little rings I thought were a seperation in the leather wrap but instead they are just pieces of metal crushing it in those spots. Shitty. Other than that I'm good with it. It is smaller than the stock steering wheel and it adds a good bit of control as well.

Anyone know which color the wire is for the horn on the column? I'd really like to make the horn button work and everything. I see orange/blue on the wiring diagrams and stuff but that is nowhere to be found.
                    Daily:
                    09 2.5SL Altima Grey
                    Z31s:
                    88t Grey
                    86t Pewter

Comment

I second MOMO! I like the older style ones the best, the new ones look like space ships...
                      http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

new update to the install...

I've been very lazy considering school/work/shipping parts/etc lol.

Well I finally got in there and played around, I found out what wire I need to use to complete the ground (not hard, just lazy). I am at a stand still at this point... I tried to put the wheel on with the electronic piece for the steering wheel controls behind it, won't fit.

So essentially this is my idea...
                        fabricate a metal plate that is totally insulated and sits up against the back of the grant hub (the hub has a solder piece that sticks out a bit from the hub - it looks like it would've been perfect for the damn control piece that sits behind the stock wheel -- grant needs to lick my balls for this shit).

The whole idea anyway is to complete the ground (right?) and if I can come up with some kind of plate that the hub can always touch I will have a working Z horn button?!

Yeah, now the hard part is doing just that. I can't think of any other way due to the fact that soldering the wire onto the hub will just cause it to wind up around the column.

Anyone have any other ideas that I may just be overlooking?

-Jon
                        Daily:
                        09 2.5SL Altima Grey
                        Z31s:
                        88t Grey
                        86t Pewter

Comment

I want a Nardi Rally s-wheel

Comment

Working...