• Show
Clear All

• HID Roll Call

How many of you have them?
    What kit do you have?
    Where did you get it?
    How much was it?
    Pics of the install?
    Did you need anything ontop of what they gave you in the kit?
    Also.. please leave a review/impression about them and if you think it's worth the cost.

Yes I'm doing research to purchase my own set. Yes I have searched the boards, I'm just asking for any additional information, and if anything else, to compile the information about them all in one thread so that it can be turned into a sticky and/or writeup/faq about HID's.

Thanks for the responses in advance guys!
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

So... noone has HID's ?

Comment

I've been considering them, if it's worth anything. When I do get them I will be getting the Hella Bi-xenon 9cm projector type so I can keep high-beam functionality.

Tom and one other guy here have them.

Comment

i have the fake hids. sold on ebay.

i mostly wanted the clear lens. so i can probably upgrade them to HIDs rather easily. they use an H4 bulb.

just the way they are with silverstar bulbs they are 100% better then stock. even compared to when they are on and in the down position.

Comment

I have 9007 conversion , Pretty bright and blue .

Maybe if you dont feel like spending or dont have 200 dollars or more for hids you could do a 9007 conversion ?

Comment

I think I've decided on this kit...

http://www.cqlight.ca/catalog/product_i ... d=89&osCsi

Pro's, Con's, Silence?

Comment

http://300zx.tombeauchamp.com/06_03_16_ ... ghts.shtml

boost. does a body good!

Comment

I bought a 9004 conversion online and LOVE THEM!!!!
                I have my front window tinted though so I really did need them. Even with the headlights down they are so bright!!! It really improved my visibility at night!!! I live in an area with NO streetlights what so ever and it sucked............until I got HID's
                I bought an 8000K kit, b/c I like the way BMW's and Porsches look stock..
                From what I have studied......5-6000 K gives you the best visibilty.....the higher you go its more for looks.
                Check members rides..I have pics there.
                Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

Comment

Jason.. how are you going to install them with 84-86 headlights?

Comment

OK85ZX wrote: Jason.. how are you going to install them with 84-86 headlights?
                    Simple... Remove the sealed beam and build a bracket to mount them to the stock location and position them wherever I end up thinking looks best.

Comment

I ran across this link on hybridZ http://www.spitzkraft.com/catalogue.php?catID=1

this is probably a good source of info too:
                      http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

HIDs are pretty low on my priority list at the moment, but I'd really like a set for the Z.
                      1988 300ZX Turbo SS
                      2000 BMW 323Ci
                      2003 BMW 325XiT

Comment

I have a Shenzhen TechOne kit on the Z.

"12,000k" (look violet)

I have a kit on the xB (6000k) and had a kit on the S13 (Brightstar 8000k). All bought off of ebay, and all around $200. Quality with these kits are hit or miss.

The one on the xB has been giving me a lot of trouble. Been having some arcing/flickering issues that I can't quite figure out. Maybe wiring related. The first batch of bulbs were waaaay off in color temp.

The other 2 kits I've been very pleased with. They are well worth the money. Can see soo much better with a lowered car, but do some research on each particular kit before buying.
                        sigpic

Comment

i have access to HID kits now. take a look on here.

http://www.mimousa.com/home.asp?dir=pro ... &sub_id=18

i can sell them for $300 each if there were a few that wanted to buy. say like a group buy of atleast 5. the come with evrything you need to install. and they just plug right into the wiring harness. just install your bulbs and mount the balast. pretty cake. theres even a 6 month free replacement.

Comment

But all of these alternatives eliminate the low-beam function...rendering them foolish and useless. Unless you get a kick out of driving around blinding people, putting yourself at a higher risk for colision, then i don't see the point. Yes, WAY brighter, i get it, but if you drive a lot of 2 lane highways at night you'll learn to appriciate low beams. If you aim them low enough to keep out of oncomming traffic's eyes, then you can't see great distances and you are effectively back to square one...am i missing something here?
                            My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                            My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                            207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: But all of these alternatives eliminate the low-beam function...rendering them foolish and useless. Unless you get a kick out of driving around blinding people, putting yourself at a higher risk for colision, then i don't see the point. Yes, WAY brighter, i get it, but if you drive a lot of 2 lane highways at night you'll learn to appriciate low beams. If you aim them low enough to keep out of oncomming traffic's eyes, then you can't see great distances and you are effectively back to square one...am i missing something here?
                              Yes, you are missing something... You're missing the part where Bi-Xenon kits have a forward and a high aim for low and hi beams.

Also, if anything, most of the kits eleminate the high beam function, not the lowbeams. If you've ever seen a halogen low beam vs an HID converted low beam, you'll see the drastic difference in it, and also notice that when installed properly does not effect other drivers on the road at all. Some people don't need high beams.

Comment

Working...
                              X