Digital Dash Color Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Dash Color Change

i was wondering if there was any way to change the color of the green backlights on the digital dash (tach portion, etc.)?? any help appreciated, thanks.
    1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
    Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

As far as I know there isn't away and even if there was it would probably be a major pain in the but to change the colors of the bars I'm thinking of changing my digital to analog

Comment

mike1988 wrote: As far as I know there isn't away and even if there was it would probably be a major pain in the but to change the colors of the bars I'm thinking of changing my digital to analog
      Confucius say: Man who steps in barbecue sauce, will eventually put his foot in his mouth.

Yes it is possible
      Yes it is easy.
      Standard Green Dash Display:

Removal of trim ring, acrylic shields, backround plate and green filters. (easier with steering wheel removed)

Measure filters and make a prinatble template in ms visio. Printed on overhead projector transparancy.

Cut out colored pieces and tape into place.

note:
      Its a better idea to use parcan gels, used in stage lighting. They are heat resistant and do not fade much over time.
      The filter i printed on an inkjet printer has faded and the blue is not as dark anymore.

The rest of the displays (clilmate, radio, center cluster) i have not done yet. Climate control uses green LEDs behind the buttons
      and standard bulbs with the green condoms for the LCD display. The stock radio has green filters in the buttons and condoms for
      the LCD display (if i remember correctly
      ). I have not dug into the center cluster yet but its probobly the standard bulbs with the green condoms.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

well guess I was wrong I was thinking that the gauges were done a different way I haven't had a chance to play around with the dash that much yet.

Comment

Wow that looks quite good Z_Karma, I'm impressed! Although is it a little blurry or is that just the photo? Maybe something slightly more transparent to get it clearer?
          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

mike1988 wrote: well guess I was wrong I was thinking that the gauges were done a different way I haven't had a chance to play around with the dash that much yet.

....Although is it a little blurry or is that just the photo? Maybe something slightly more transparent to get it clearer?
            some of the blurriness is my camera, but the transparency does have a texture to accept the inkjet ink. Colored gels would be much better.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

badass! i REALLY appreciate the help guys, i really like how i can go to this forum for anything i need!
              1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
              Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

Comment

also

http://www.300zxrestoration.com/lighting_color.html
                It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

I am in love with the blue!
                  I've been wanting to do that.

Awesome info guys.
                  Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
                  1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
                  2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

yeah, i'm really glad i brought it up and someone was able to show how it's done. i think it's a neat and quick mod that requires hardly any $$$$ spending at all, and had GREAT results! great work guys!
                    1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

in a gel that looks to be a 15 blue, but it's not the same blue tone

Comment

On 300zxrestoration.com it says he was unable to find the appropriate sized gel caps for the bulbs? I dont know what's with the purple on his site either?
                        http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

[quote]Z_Karma wrote:
                          Originally posted by mike1988
                          As far as I know there isn't away and even if there was it would probably be a major pain in the but to change the colors of the bars I'm thinking of changing my digital to analog
                          *snip snip*

note:

The rest of the displays (clilmate, radio, center cluster) i have not done yet. Climate control uses green LEDs behind the buttons
                          and standard bulbs with the green condoms for the LCD display. The stock radio has green filters in the buttons and condoms for
                          the LCD display (if i remember correctly). I have not dug into the center cluster yet but its probobly the standard bulbs with the green condoms.

mmmmmmmmm barbecue
                          Here are some links for you, if it suits the board. I did this with my center consul and used the same technique on clear acrylic sheets for the dash. I have since reverted it all back to green. Funny how once I am finally given the choice of colors, I actually liked the stock green!
                          http://www.300zxrestoration.com/lighting_color.html

here's a good link for the gels
                          http://z31.com/board/read.php?id=65308&srf=nyet
                          http://www.vgpowered.com
                          Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

Thats the most BALLA sH iT eva....

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I'm gonna stick this picture in the sticky too.

85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X