Carbon fiber trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon fiber trunk

I'll put this under cosmetic because i guess thats where it goes best.

Has anyone used the carbon fiber hood from VIS?

Im trying to shave all the weight I possibly can off my Z and i figured a fiberglass or carbon hatch with lexan would save some weight.

I wonder about the quality thought. I've heard some not to good things about VIS.

http://www.kgsengineering.com/visrac...178bc5a56386a4[/url]
    ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Only person I know to have bought it was SteveZ31. Everything I have ever seen from VIS has been top-notch.

You were just selling your fancy engine to get money for school, now looking at spending money on something that's all but useless except on a gutted, highly modified car? uhhhhhhh...

Comment

I have never seen anything but quality from VIS
      And yes I have the VIS Hood and Hatch the CF weaves on both are flawless and the fitment is OEM quality, the only thing that sucks is you have to transfer the glass from the stock hatch to the VIS one, I had a pro come and do it and it cost me $125.
      2005 whore magnet

Comment

Ohh and this place is cheaper http://www.carbonfiberhoods.net/product ... ts_id/1758
        2005 whore magnet

Comment

Read my for sale post.

I found a way to come up with atleast half the money I needed for school (or should i say my grandma did). So Im not going to sell the engine and as for the highly modified gutted race car does a dashless, heater and ac less car making somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 at the wheels count?
          ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

GotFast? wrote: Read my for sale post.

I found a way to come up with atleast half the money I needed for school (or should i say my grandma did). So Im not going to sell the engine and as for the highly modified gutted race car does a dashless, heater and ac less car making somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 at the wheels count?
            No. you could take that 500 and put it towards a bigger turbo or larger injectors or another fuel pump or ............
            85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

You mean a T3/T04E 60 Trim .60A/r with stage 3 wheel, 550CC/min RC Engineering fuel injectors and an aeromotive A1000 fuel pump arent good enough?

If that isnt enough theres always the direct port nitrous kit from project cruise missle thats now on my car.

Yeah...I think thats enough.

Comment

Well, the turbo could stand to be a little more capable...

:lol:

Comment

GotFast? wrote: You mean a T3/T04E 60 Trim .60A/r with stage 3 wheel, 550CC/min RC Engineering fuel injectors and an aeromotive A1000 fuel pump arent good enough?

If that isnt enough theres always the direct port nitrous kit from project cruise missle thats now on my car.

Yeah...I think thats enough.
                  If you think that is enough to justify the makings of a "race car" well then go ahead and buy urself some carbon fiber goodies. I personally just think the money could be spent better elsewhere like yes, a larger turbo. why substitute your turbo with nitrous? just more shit to go wrong.

However I dont know anyone that has the carbon trunk so I guess that would be kinda unique?

Hey what ever happened to that "project cruize missle" anyways?
                  85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                  04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I wouldn't buy the hood... I'm a weakling, and can man-handle one all day long.

The hatch... If I was going to do it.. wouldn't have any real glass in it, lexan.. probably.. and I would paint it.. to match the body.. it'd be cool if you can see the weave through it, but that's about it.
                    vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                    2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

SteveZ31 wrote: I have never seen anything but quality from VIS
                      And yes I have the VIS Hood and Hatch the CF weaves on both are flawless and the fitment is OEM quality, the only thing that sucks is you have to transfer the glass from the stock hatch to the VIS one, I had a pro come and do it and it cost me $125.
                      Out of curiosity, how much weight did you save between stock hatch and the VIS version.

Comment

someone was telling me (without knowing i had a "old" 300zx) that the stock hood is lighter than carbon fiber!!?!

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

someone was telling me (without knowing i had a "old" 300zx) that the stock hood is lighter than carbon fiber!!?!
                          Actually, what I caught was that they about break even.

And, if the car's ever been wrecked and a non-nissan hood was put on it, it's probably steel (stock was alu) and the heaviest of all.

z31 hoods don't weigh much at all, and CF is at the bottom of my list... because I'd have it painted anyways.
                          vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                          2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

Grahfz, yeah lexan would be the only way to go. I bet most of the weight in the rear hatch comes from the glass. I haven't seperated the two yet to actually determine which weighs more.

Theres more to go fast then just going fast straight. I wanted a smalled turbo that wouldn't experience as much lag and to make up for it when i do go drag racing I have the nitrous kit.

The car will see atleast a couple private track days at road america and I'll probably take this car to a drift day every now and then (seeing as the 93 S13 coupe is never going to be done).

Race car doesnt always equal drag car.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Well, the turbo could stand to be a little more capable...

:lol:
                              Oh would you hush already.

On second thought....Im just going to have to relocate the turbo, stick a T88 on the bitch and rev the engine out to like 9,000 rpm...

Comment

Working...
                              X