No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried out 19 wheels? Seriously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this car was on ebay not too long ago. Somebody posted it on Z31.com since the 19s are rare.

Stern wheels
    19x8.5 e20 245/35/19F
    19x9 e25 275/30.19R

Attached Files

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Comment

Can someone explain to me the performance advantage of any wheel bigger than 17"?

Comment

The performance of the holders looks. :wink:

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

performance advantage? there isn't any....it's all about preference. The black one I posted pics of was a mint non-turbo with cosmetic and stereo stuff done.

Look on Ziptied.com...can you say there's a performance advantage of huge negative offsets with crazy lip? No, but it looks freakin sweet.

Come on Jason, it's all preference. Why did you choose to build up a na 2+2 Z31? The vast majority of auto enthusiasts outside of our little Z31 cult wouldn't see that as the brightest decision either.

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Can someone explain to me the performance advantage of any wheel bigger than 17"?
            A taller tire has a larger contact patch and a larger wheel will reduce the sidewall flex you would get by having a taller sidewall from the taller tires.

In my avatar pic, the z31 has 18" wheels, the z33 has 19" but I did it for the looks.
            Chuck Stong
            300+ Parts and Performance owner
            http://www.300-plus.com
            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

I always thought that 16 and 17 were the ideal size because they had less rotational mass and personally I don't like anything over 17 unless it's on a truck

Comment

[quote]Firehawk wrote:
                Originally posted by Jason84NA2T
                Can someone explain to me the performance advantage of any wheel bigger than 17"?
                A taller tire has a larger contact patch and a larger wheel will reduce the sidewall flex you would get by having a taller sidewall from the taller tires.
                debatable whether the additional rotational mass is worth the tradeoff.

this is why you get big wheels:

to clear monster brakes
                1988 300ZX Turbo SS
                2000 BMW 323Ci
                2003 BMW 325XiT

Comment

it's proven time and time again that 16-17 inch wheel/tire combos grab the highest MPH when going for top speed testing. So, performance wise going big isn't a good idea for that. But, I swear on each car I put larger wheels and lower profile tires the handling gets more responsive. It feels like my power steering pump is supercharged.

With that said, I just like the looks of 18-19"ers. I also want to be different from the masses, and 19's would certainly do just that.
                  2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Big brakes is all i see it for.
                    Corvettes have 18's don't they?

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Big brakes is all i see it for.
                      Corvettes have 18's don't they?
                      I see alot of Corvette setups with 18's in the front and 19's in the rear.
                      2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

And then, for example there is the Dodge SRT-4 which has a performance wheel option with 16" wheels, while stock is 17".

To me, it depends on the weight and type of use use the car sees as well as the tire selection, but I would wager to say the typical 17" wheel is going to outperform the typical 19" wheel with the same patch width and tire in most (but probably not all) conditions.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: And then, for example there is the Dodge SRT-4 which has a performance wheel option with 16" wheels, while stock is 17".

To me, it depends on the weight and type of use use the car sees as well as the tire selection, but I would wager to say the typical 17" wheel is going to outperform the typical 19" wheel with the same patch width and tire in most (but probably not all) conditions.
                          I'll agree with that. Anyone know the size of NASCAR wheels?
                          2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

15"

Comment

[quote]Signal 12 wrote:
                              And then, for example there is the Dodge SRT-4 which has a performance
                              wheel option with 16" wheels, while stock is 17".

I'll agree with that. Anyone know the size of NASCAR wheels?
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0045738726

I remember seeing 15x8 wheels also.
                              Jukka Kivinen - Europe / Finland - '88 Turbo 2+2 Targa
                              Datsun Nissan Sports Cars of Finland
                              http://www.z31turbo.com / http://www.z31na.com

Comment

The one part on nascars that is surprising.... there freakin sweet ass brakes

Comment

Working...
                                X